Green/Mustard Algae for 1 month

Jaleh

Apr 26, 2022
Phoenix
Hello! I was just referred to this site and have already learned to much!

I have a 36k gallon pool and about a month ago noticed green algae growth on the deep end side (not much sun). I have a weekly pool service that has ignored the issue, even after I've asked them to fix it, so they're out and I'll start doing this on my own. I've tested my water and found the following:
  • Free Chlorine: 0
  • pH: 8.1
  • Total Alkalinity: 121
  • Calcium: 900
  • CYA: 195
For reference, the pool company has measured Free Chlorine, pH, and total alkalinity weekly and the numbers above are pretty close - just never realized they were bad until I read this forum! I'm in AZ where the temp is now 90s so draining is not an option at this time.
I have purchased "Green to Clean," "clear Aid" and 12lbs of powder shock. Plan to add the algeacide, shock and backwash for 24 hours. Am I doing it right? I read this SLAM article but I cannot find that much liquid chlorine so I'm hoping the powder is OK.

I have always had a pool service, but never had a green pool. I'd like to fire the folks that let my beautiful pool turn green and start taking care of my pool myself so any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited:
Hey Jaleh and Welcome !!!

What did you use to test yourself ? We only trust Taylor drop based kits, either the tf-100 from tftestkits.net, or the k-2006C widely available on the net.

Why we don't trust the other testing ways is that if the 195 CYA is correct, you will need a 75% or more drain to be able to manage your FC. Draining is not something to be doing based upon test strips or unreliable electronic devices that particularly get the CYA test wrong.

So. Download PoolMath for free. Use it to add 5ppm of FC a day until your reliable test kit comes so things don't get exponentially worse while you wait. We will gladly guide you the rest of the way. :)

Thank you for your reply Newdude!

I used Leslie’s today (I know, I know!) while I wait for my Taylor kit to arrive. I’m pretty desperate to fix this but I’ve been reading the forums all day and I know how y’all feel about Leslie’s haha!

I bought 8bottles of LC today, I have a variable pump, which runs 12 hours/day, everyday. I plan to add at least 1 gallon tonight while the pump runs.

I don’t think it’s related but I have an air bleed leak, otherwise the pentair system is working well and pool is well filtered. I am not sure how to fix the air bleed but I’m searching. I have the pool math app too!

I will be sure to update my post once I get the real* test system!

I’ve been reading the forums all day and I know how y’all feel about Leslie’s haha!
I have seen them consistently tell new members their CYA was much higher than it was. Many many members such ad yourself. Maybe you only have to drain half, It's best to know before you go. Draining alot is hard in some locations. Fill water is expensive or from an iron filled well in other locations. Balancing chemicals costs some bucks as well. Know what you need and then do with your honking 36k gallons.
I bought 8bottles of LC today, I have a variable pump, which runs 12 hours/day, everyday. I plan to add at least 1 gallon tonight while the pump runs.
Awesome !!
I don’t think it’s related but I have an air bleed leak
We will get to that when it's the lesser fish to fry.
I will be sure to update my post once I get the real* test system!
:epds:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.