Green and Cloudy

Jedc, you sound a bit skeptical/anxious about the SLAM working. I just want to reassure you that it REALLY works. It DOES take time, you do need to follow the proceedure exactly, and it does require patience. But the best byproduct is the ultimate control you will have and the future trouble free pool ;)

In my books, you've been slamming for ONE day, not a week.

While I expect you'll be looking at a week for it to clear, possibly more, just remember that in warmer temperatures, the algae can grow back anytime your FC drops below your shock/Slam value...so if half the day its a few points below SLAM, well then that time is wasted. So dose a few ppm above if you're going to be away for more than a couple of hours.

The slam also works much faster if you remove any leaves/debris. As you will see below, my swamp back in 2012 could not be vacuumed to waste for quite a while (clogged too fast) so I used a leaf rake and a "leaf gulper" that works with a hose. And still missed a big pile ;)

Here's a link: http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Leaf-Gulper-Pool-Vacuum/dp/B002WKO8OK

Below I am posting pics of my swamp recovery. I'd hired pool guys to recover my foreclosure swamp and they literally could not get it done. I stopped them after 700 worth of labor and did it myself in 12 days (9 days once I had my test kit) and 60 gallons of cheap beach.

The brown pic is pretty much where they left off. The next pics are all me, TFP following a slam and using the leaf gulper to get leaves off the bottom:

Hope this helps you feel comfortable that the slam is a proven and superior method.
Cheers to clear!

View attachment 36874
Its nice that you saw a dramatic difference at least in color in 2 days

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/34135-Testing-the-strength-of-12-5-chlorine

This is the only thing I can think of.

Lets go back to basics okay?

-Where do you get your bleach/chlorine from?

-What is the date code on it?

-Is there anything like a light or ladder that could be hiding algae?

-Have you opened your filter to look at the sand?

How often are you testing for FC?

Kim

This is the only thing I can think of.

Lets go back to basics okay? OK

-Where do you get your bleach/chlorine from? Walmart

-What is the date code on it? 15 121 07 :57 P4 VA-01

-Is there anything like a light or ladder that could be hiding algae? No

-Have you opened your filter to look at the sand? No…Just put new sand in last saturday

How often are you testing for FC? Every 2 hrs

Kim

WOW! Everything is being done the correct way. I have NO idea what is going on :(

Even if you did not put in enough sand the bleach should be doing something to your water.

I wonder if there is a difference but you just cannot see it as it is so slight. I have seen that happen before. That is why the pictures of the same place with something to "measure" the progress by is so important.

I will call for back up and see if anyone else has any ideas.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As someone said a couple of posts ago you have really only been at it a couple of days. Keep at it and as someone else said try to scoop any debris out. Your option is to pay big bucks for dubious advice and chemicals from a pool store. Search on here and you will see story after story of people doing that with no luck. Get your chlorine levels up and keep on keepin on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just make sure that your FC level stays at or above the shock level for your CYA at all times. Any time you let the level drop below shock level, you are losing the battle. If you have all debris out of the bottom and you keep that chlorine level up, it will clear up. It works every time, just takes persistence and patience.

^+1 on that.
First, get the debris out and keep dosing it so that it does not get below 20 at all for any period of time.

Watch for clarity. Once you can see the bottom, if in fact your well has high iron or something, there is something you can do to sequester it, but it won't work right at high FC/Slam levels so yo would need to wait until you pass the slam criteria of overnight FC loss, ccs and clarity. In the mean time a sand filter will also to some extent clear any oxidized metals.

How do you normally fill your pool?

Also, is your filter pressure rising often, and are you backwashing it when its about 25% or so over clean pressure?

^+1 on that.
First, get the debris out and keep dosing it so that it does not get below 20 at all for any period of time.

Watch for clarity. Once you can see the bottom, if in fact your well has high iron or something, there is something you can do to sequester it, but it won't work right at high FC/Slam levels so yo would need to wait until you pass the slam criteria of overnight FC loss, ccs and clarity. In the mean time a sand filter will also to some extent clear any oxidized metals.

How do you normally fill your pool?

Also, is your filter pressure rising often, and are you backwashing it when its about 25% or so over clean pressure?

Never had to fill pool as much as this year do to the winter damage. At 9AM this morning FC was at 19...Pressure is staying within 1.5 of clean through much of the week....No change at all in clarity

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.