Green and Cloudy with high chlorine. Pool Stored to death.

Re: Green and Cloudy with high chlorine. Pool Stored to dea

Something I learned from fighting with my pool for over 2 weeks and may be a suggestion for you...Pool had a slight greenish tint and was cloudy...I shocked my pool and added baking soda to raise alk (which also raises ph)...I later figured out that my new SWG (pool turned right after I converted to swg) was also raising my ph...so naturally I added acid (which dropped my ph, but also dropped my alk...so I added a little more baking soda which sent it in reverse along with the SWG raising ph again)...so, I figure out that i was in a viscous cycle and countering the effects of the chlorine because I kept raising my ph by shocking and adding acid within a few hours of each other. Finally figured it out around 11pm after a few cold ones. I went ahead and tested ph and it was again above 7.8. so I added more acid and turned off my SWG..kept pump running over night. The next morning the green tint went away but pool was still cloudy. backwashed sand filter and kept pump running on high for another 12 hours..turned swg back on that evening and brush algae that had settled to bottom. backwashed the filter again the next morning and haven't seen anything but a clear pool for 2 weeks now.

If you're already at shock levels, then all I would do is add acid to bring ph to 7-7.2. Keep pump running and DO NOT ADD ANYTHING ELSE for about 24 hours. It's tempting to do what you think needs to happen but ph played a crazy part in my fight. I learned that if I fought one thing at a time, the other parameters either played themselves out required very little. So get rid of the algae by dropping ph and leave alone, then test your other parameters.

good luck!

Also the pH test is inaccurate when FC greater than 10ppm, so you should not adjust pH while in the shock process.

My pH is holding at 7.8. The pump is running 24/7. I let the Kreepy Krawley run for awhile and it picked up a bunch of stuff from the bottom that I can't see. Chlorine continues to drop steadily and the green is still there. However, the green is not the bright green of active algae, but a duller green. Hopefully a sign that the bleach is starting to win the battle. I plant to keep the program going and have been buying plenty of bleach. I can also buy a liquid shock made by Austin Bleach company. Is that any advantage over Clorox?

pH - 7.8
FC - 10 (going to add bleach to bring back up to 25)

I put a little extra bleach in tonight to make sure that the level gets up to 25. Brushed walls and bottom. Is it normal that the pool is still green? I thought it might go white cloudy then clear. Thoughts?

I had FC this morning of 25.5. Tonight it is still good at 23. I have a picture of the pool - pea soup color, but I don't know how to attach the picture to the post. Should I be seeing some clearing? How long do I maintain FC at 25? I guess I may seem impatient, but I opened the pool in April and it's almost July. I haven't seen the shallow end of the pool yet.

How long have you been following the shock process? ... correctly?

What is your CYA?

Everything should have been dead in a matter of days and then it is up to your filter to clear the water

CYA was about 100. I have been backflushing off water and adding new every day. I will recheck the CYA tomorrow evening. FC has been above 20 for several days now. I started about a week ago and the FC would drop fairly quickly. Lowest it got was 10 on Sunday. 23.5 on the check this morning. Do I keep maintaining the Shock level until clear? Or do I let it come down to a more normal level to get the water to clear?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

amexpmh said:
CYA was about 100. I have been backflushing off water and adding new every day. I will recheck the CYA tomorrow evening. FC has been above 20 for several days now. I started about a week ago and the FC would drop fairly quickly. Lowest it got was 10 on Sunday. 23.5 on the check this morning. Do I keep maintaining the Shock level until clear? Or do I let it come down to a more normal level to get the water to clear?

Keep shocking! Have you considered doing a large drain and re fill to get your cya down?

If you CYA was 100ppm, then the shock FC level should have been up closer to 40ppm according to Pool School: pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock or the 25ppm from the calculator.

You need to recheck the CYA ... maybe it was even higher and thus you have not had the FC high enough.

Have you tried any DE in the filter?

I thought the calculator adjusted the amount of bleach to add based upon the CYA. The recommendation was for 25ppg, I did not see this chart. I will bump it up to 39 for the goal.

The calculator is not as aggressive as the Pool School chart ... The calculator recommends 25ppm as you were using, but the chart is clearly more aggressive.

I have not added DE to the filter, although they sell it at the wholesale club next to liquid shock. How much DE should I add. Replaced sand filter with 300# sand two weeks ago.

Water is rather expensive to do a bulk replace. I will recheck CYA to see if it is coming down finally. I have pumped off about 6 inches a couple of times.

And I agree on the chart. I was wondering if it was enough since there is still green. Poll was Green now it is more of a Green. Assuming this font color chart comes out correctly.

Ok a week away with the pump running. Brother added chorine once. Water is more clear than ever this year. I am going to vacuum to waste tomorrow. The green is on the bottom. My current test results are listed below. My question is should I take the chorine level back to shock or keep it at normal levels?

FC 2.5
TC 3.0
TA 150
CH 450
CYA 70
pH 7.8

I'm still green. Not as bad as the pond look, but not clear. I've re-read the pool school information again and I am following the shocking procedure very closely. In the past 6 days the lowest FC reading has been 16.5 (twice). CYA has been 60 so the target shock level is 24. I add chlorine once or twice a day as required. Full test run this morning.

FC 16.5
TC 17.0
TA 150
CH 350
CYA 60
pH 7.8
Temp 79.9

From yesterday morning to this morning I lost 2.5 in FC. I'm fighting a pump issue too. Not getting full pressure that I should. Ruled out clogs following testing in other sections of this site. Maybe the valve that switches skimmers to drain? I will get some shaving cream today for that test. Would low circulation contribute to the green problem? I am getting psi of 7-8 versus a normal level of 14. Thanks again for any help/suggestions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.