Green Algae

Dec 8, 2017
Athens GA
Opened my pool and was green, but not bad. Slammed the pool, been brushing/vacumming etc. Running filter 24/7. Pool cleared up real nice. Currently PH 7.6, FC 6 and have maintained that between 4-8, CYA 30, Alkalinity is 60, Calcium level 80, Borate 30, current temp. 74. So my numbers are good, but here is my issue. Every three or four days I notice green algae forming on the sides of pool. I have had this pool for 7 years now using Troublefree math for vinyl and use most of the time liquid chlorine and every now and then cal. Hypo. Never had this issue, so a little perplexed. Read to use an algacide,but don’t really want to. Only thing I have ever put in the pool is liquid chlorine, cal hypo, baking soda, 20 mule borax, and MA mainly when I add the borax. I do use trichlor tabs in a floater to keep a little chlorine being slowly released in the pool, but when CYA gets around 40 will remove. Any advice? Thanks

Opened my pool and was green, but not bad. Slammed the pool, been brushing/vacumming etc. Running filter 24/7. Pool cleared up real nice. Currently PH 7.6, FC 6 and have maintained that between 4-8, CYA 30, Alkalinity is 60, Calcium level 80, Borate 30, current temp. 74. So my numbers are good, but here is my issue. Every three or four days I notice green algae forming on the sides of pool. I have had this pool for 7 years now using Troublefree math for vinyl and use most of the time liquid chlorine and every now and then cal. Hypo. Never had this issue, so a little perplexed. Read to use an algacide,but don’t really want to. Only thing I have ever put in the pool is liquid chlorine, cal hypo, baking soda, 20 mule borax, and MA mainly when I add the borax. I do use trichlor tabs in a floater to keep a little chlorine being slowly released in the pool, but when CYA gets around 40 will remove. Any advice? Thanks
Ok. Any recommendation how long I should maintain the Slam. Water is crystal clear

Did you pass the three criteria specified in the article?

How are you testing your pool water chemistry?

Did you pass the three criteria specified in the article?

How are you testing your pool water chemistry?

Ok. Any recommendation how long I should maintain the Slam. Water is crystal clear
Taylor K2006. I passed the first time I slammed when I opened the pool. Pool is currently crystal clear and Cc tested 0. Losing around 3ppm daily but don’t know how much over night as I usually have been testing in the evenings. Anyway , will slam again and will probably up the chlorine level from when I previously slammed.

Perhaps CYA may be a little higher. My eyes not as good as they use to be😂, so gonna bump slam level up a little. Not going to hurt. If a little algae and I mean a little and just a few spots here and there on the sides of the pool that probably most would not notice is the definition of not crystal clear, then you are correct. But when the water is sparkling and I can throw a quarter in deep end which granted is only 7 1/2 foot, and I can tell heads or tails, that’s my definition of crystal clear. Anyway, was gonna slam and or shock at a high level, but thought I would get some opinions in case there may be another reason for the algae forming that I may not be aware of. Thanks for your responses.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That’s what I am thinking too, but after the first slam and the criteria for stopping the slam were met I figured I was done. In previous years I have slammed at higher levels than what was called for, but chorine $$ keeps going up so I was pinching pennies.

If in doubt that it's north of 30 then you'd slam for 40. Perhaps that's the issue so the algae never dies off completely with a slam of 12.
That’s what I am thinking now too. But after I slammed and met the criteria, or so I thought, for stopping, I figured I was done. I actually have slammed at higher levels than what was called for in previous years, but with cost of chlorine nowadays I was pinching Pennie’s.