Feb 23, 2020
Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello everyone,

I was dealing with black algae for over a month and finally got rid of it. My pool was balanced and doing great them out of no where green algae took over. I checked the levels added full bottle of MA and did a SLAM waited 24 hours and it was worse. My PH is reading 8.6 and I put MA into the pool again and waited SLAMed again and nothing. Normally chlorine after dropping the PH does the trick but idk whats going on. An help would be appreciated. My current levels are reading a
PH 8.4
TC 1.0
FC 0
TA 130
CYA 45

Are you following the SLAM Process precisely? By that I mean lowering pH to 7.2, bringing FC up to SLAM level according to the FC/CYA Levels, then checking your FC and CC AT LEAST three times a day and MAINTAINING the SLAM level.

SLAMming a pool is rarely if ever a one day process -- with a green pool, you've probably got a week to 10 day project in front of you.

You also need to scrub your walls and floor as well as any places the algae could be hiding -- light niches, ladders, steps, toys, any nook or cranny where algae might hide.

And you have to do this multiple times a day, every day. Follow the process properly until you pass the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test and you should be able to get rid of the algae.

Reactions: The Sarge
+1 on the SLAM advice

Your chlorine is way too low and you got algae. At a CYA of 50 you should be keeping your FC at 6-8 normally. Now that you have algae, you need to get it up to 20 and keep it there for a week+ until you pass the 3 criteria to end the SLAM.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.