Green algae. About to swap pump/filter... steps?

Dr_Data

Apr 15, 2021
Charleston, SC
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Hello,

Below is my pool. Was beautiful about a week ago. Finally used the Taylor kit (K-2006-c) instead of the digital one (Safe dip 6 in 1). I plan to swap out the equipment this weekend, but think I should SLAM first. Is this order what you would recommend?

Chemistry levels:
  • CYA 100
  • FC 7.6 ppm
  • CC 1 ppm
  • pH 7.4

My thoughts on order to fix this & replace equipment.
  1. Drain 60% of the water to target a CYA of 40
  2. Refill water & test CYA, FC, CC, pH
  3. SLAM given these test figures
  4. Install new equipment once the pool has stabilized and is sparkly clean
What are your thoughts? Or should I replace the equipment before doing the SLAM process? I am installing a cartridge filter, VS pump, and SCWG (in signature)... going from a single speed pump and sand filter. We moved into the house about 2 months ago and the pool is maybe 10 years old.

Thanks!
Algae_Pool.jpeg

You have a good plan. :goodjob: If the equipment you have now is reliable enough to get your through a SLAM Process, I'd say go for it now. Sooner the better. But if you feel the pump or something may give-out on you, then just wait and do it afterwards. Your call. But you have the right idea.

Reactions: Dr_Data
I figured I'd do a follow-up. We got it back and better than before! Kept it at SLAM levels for a day and a half after passing all 3 criteria, just to be certain. We've now swapped out the pool equipment and are loving the pool.

Nevermind the dots in there.... pesky fiddler crabs. Pulled those out while swimming, as they evaded the robot and the manual net.
20210710_132115.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Mdragger88
Fantastic! I can see why the crabs like it. :swim:

full

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.