GREAT Trick for covering pools up to 12’

ThatGuy511

Jun 9, 2019
Oklahoma
This is the 2nd year we have had the Intex Prism pool. I bought one of those offset umbrellas for it last year (the kind that cam with a Velcro-on mosquito net).

This is the ONLY way I would ever recommend covering the pool.

1. Coverage: Great for shade in summer heat. Can be rotated out of the way or angles up, or partial coverage. Your choice!

And if you live in a windy place (I live in Oklahoma where we literally just had 70mph gusts last night), you only have to turn a crank to lower the umbrella and still maintain coverage! (BUT... make sure you also get sandbags for the base to prevent tipping. I throw on a few large rocks also for good measure. Have never had it tip.) About the only extra ‘maintenance’ I do is that I tuck the netting at the bottom under the pool stands or put a rock on it every so many feet to prevent wind from blowing the netting up/off during high winds and then I just leave it that way all season unless I’m wanting to rotate it or something (which I never do).

2. No bugs/mosquitos/sunburn while Swimming!

3. To remove cover (and clean out all the nastys that built up over night, or over the weekend, or over several days), simply crank it back up and give the sides a shake.

4. Price: I bought this one on clearance in the fall for $109 (with the net included). And the net has zippers all around so you can always get into it easily. It is an 11’ umbrella. And while my pool is 10’, Im pretty sure it would work alright with a 12’ pool as there is plenty of netting left at the bottom. Sorry, I don’t recall the exact name of this particular umbrella, but I think it was some sort of Homes and Gardens brand possibly.

5. I’m lazy. So I didn’t even put it away during the winter and not only did it cover during the winter, but it still works this summer! Note: Be careful of snow/ice weather if you live in that type of environment during winter. Because If you don’t leave it hanging loose during those times, the snow/ice will over-weight the net and destroy it. But for the leaves in the fall and buds in the spring it works great.

Photos: It looks like it’s being blow sideways a bit because I just took the pic and we’re having 25mph gusts at the moment. Also, the weird one is a pic of the sand bags / rock I put on the base. Those two are 50lb heavy duty material bags I got off amazon (with a little notch built in to form fit the umbrella pole)

Anyway, the ‘before / after’ crank photo is app there is to it!

Hope that helps. Enjoy.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    622.3 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    689.8 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    475.5 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    702.3 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    703.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.