Granite for a spillway?

tanksjeep

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 23, 2015
Lake Havasu City, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
I am going to replaster my pool and while I’m at it it, I’m going to change out my tile and spillway. The company that is doing the plaster said they make a new spillway out of granite. Does anyone have a granite spillway? I have a friend with one and after 8 years, their vertical sides are disintegrating but the bottom where the water spills over is fine.

Are you talking about not putting anything on the "shell" of the pool in the spillway area? Or putting something over it in that area that is like the shell?
Basically, the ‘slot’ that the water goes through. Most pools/spas have some sort of notched area between the spa and pool that allows water to flow through for a waterfall effect.

Basically, the ‘slot’ that the water goes through. Most pools/spas have some sort of notched area between the spa and pool that allows water to flow through for a waterfall effect.
Just want to make sure we are all on the same page. Do you mean an actual piece of granite will be your spillway, or will they make the structure of the spillway gunite and put tile, stone, etc over it.? The latter is the most common and how I initially read your post, so want to clarify gunite vs granite.

Just want to make sure we are all on the same page. Do you mean an actual piece of granite will be your spillway, or will they make the structure of the spillway gunite and put tile, stone, etc over it.? The latter is the most common and how I initially read your post, so want to clarify gunite vs granite.
Yes, that is correct. The granite will only be cosmetic to the pool structure. What I have now, is a plastic insert of some sort. Appears to be made out of the same material a kitchen cutting board is made from. Looks tacky.

Attachments

• IMG_0678.jpeg
    IMG_0678.jpeg
    595.5 KB · Views: 16
Got it. Mine is tile so not sure I can be of much help with advice, but here is a good thread that discusses the various options including granite. There are some other threads also linked within this thread:

Reactions: poolmagazine
Got it. Mine is tile so not sure I can be of much help with advice, but here is a good thread that discusses the various options including granite. There are some other threads also linked within this thread:

Thank you! Those threads were very helpful. Especially the ones about the need for a drip edge.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.