Grand SLAM 2020 Opening

YesRushGen

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 8, 2008
Suffolk, VA, US
Hi all, long time member and follower of TFP methods here - somewhat infrequent poster...

I'm preparing to open our pool in a couple weeks and have a couple questions for the experts - first the background:

1. With the "run" on liquid chlorine products being what it is, I've gone ahead and pre-ordered plenty of 73% cal-hypo. I am aware this will raise both my CH and Salt, neither of which I am concerned about. I've done the math; my pool will need 5 pounds to bring me to shock level. I've ordered plenty to achieve and maintain FC while waiting for clear water.

2. Pool did NOT fare well over the winter season. I closed with PolyQuat 60, like I usually do, back in late Sept. Last weekend, I had to partially remove my cover so I could drain a bit of water (sump pump), so I had my first look since closing. The water is crystal clear, however, the sides and bottom are covered in what I would call "sheet algae." Searching online, I've seen photos of "slime algae" that look similar. I called it "sheet algae" because when it's disturbed, it come off in sheets.

Regarding #1, are there any concerns I should have using cal-hypo? I've never used it before, but my searches haven't revealed anything other than the noted raise in CH and Salt. Anything else I'm missing?

Regarding #2, I'm assuming I deal with this type of algae the same way I deal with any type of algae at pool opening? I.e., following SLAM methodology, brushing pool surfaces, cleaning filter when target PSI is reached, etc... Just asking in case there's something specific about this type of algae I'm missing?

Thanks!
Kelly

Hey Kelly! :wave: For cal-hypo, I would plan on adding it separately from any other chemicals that time of day. You may experience some cloudiness with it, but that should go away on its own. Make sure to brush it around. The Recommended Chemicals page (link in my signature) has more info about CH as well.

As for the algae ........nothing unusual. SLAM away! :)

I have a similar on ORDER of balancing chemicals in opening or related question.
I did not see answered in pool school or the guide to opening pools or in the SLAM instructions, but I may have read these all too quickly.

What is the order of chemical balancing one should use in opening a pool?
SLAMing identifies get the pH correct first. What if CYA is below 20?.
It would seem that adding acid would impact the pH?
It seems that on opening the concern is getting FC to the correct level. and for that to work the pH needs to be correct and for that to be "stable" the CYA should be at a "good" starting point.
Is the order then:
Get CYA up to 25-30 with "stabilizer (Cyanuric Acid: 100%)[Pool math 3lbs 11 oz]
Check pH...let assume that the pH is 7.8
Lower pH to target 7.5 by adding dry acid
Adjusting pH is dependent on Total alkalinity! TA is 70, below the 80-110 level!
Do I need to get the TA up first??? Start with a good TA?
(what is the difference between "TA" and "adjusted TA" [Alex water testing])
With CYA 25 and FC=0 (below the level on the chart) 2 lbs 9 oz of Calcium Hypochlorite 73%

As SLAMing procedure identifies the chlorine level checking will be iterative and checking any other chemical level will be in error.
My experience in SLAMing or achieving 'break-point" chlorine has been much more than 3 lbs of Cal-Hpo. it has been on the order of 12-14 gals of liquid CL (not available currently)
(SLAMing and achieving "break-point chlorine" are not exactly the same but have same intent)

I suspect there is difference in order based on the objectives of getting levels up as in SLAMing and maintaining levels. I think in maintenance getting the TA level correct then adjusting pH
Through out the season I can work on hardness, TDS, et al

Thanx for any insight on the order in adjusting pool chemistry on openning
Signature should have pool info (22K in-ground)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.