Got Solid Calcium in a Salt Water Pool????

pcmacd

Oct 3, 2010
Maricopa County, AZ
My chlorine generator just stopped working again after a ~3 month service interval.

It was clearly compromised. I soaked it 4:1 water:HCL FOUR different times over a 24 hour period, and the bubbling was always very active at the addition of a new solution.

After the FOURTH soak, 24 hrs later, I used a wooden shaft of a doctor's swab to knock stuff out. Then used high pressure water to knock more stuff out. After all this treatment, I blasted between 3 or 4 tablespoons of solid calcium (or what-evah) out of the cell. I ran it a fifth soak for a couple of hours, and although it looked to be clean when I removed it from the fixture, it was still mildly bubbling?

~~~~
To the Pint:

Iben finding all manner of flat, white effluvia in my cleaner trap. LOTS of it. It also clogs my water spray feature. It was NOT until today that I realized that this stuff is probably some sort of calcium that my cell has captured and flushed.

--->There is LOTS of it.

Cell is functioning fine again after my aggressive treatment.

is this calcium I am finding????

~~~~
Pool is under three years old. I have drained 10% of the water and refilled last December.

Analysis from Leslie's today:

CH: 650

CYA: 150

TA: 120

pH: 8.2

TDS: 5000

phos: 200

no copper or iron present; chlorine was zero as the cell was non-functional.

Sure. I need to get the pH in order and then deal with the phosphorus.

Am I missing something here?

I had a fresh water pool for over 30 years in Southern California, but I've never had pH issues like this!!!

~~~~~
I have put A FULL GALLON of HCL into this 12K gallon pool since Friday (it is now Monday night) and the pH has not budged.

I just put another 1/3 gallon it, pump running continuously until late next morning.

---> the pH has not moved ONE IOTA????

I'll eventually get the pH to settle down, but

ARE THE WHITE FLAKES I AM FINDING SOME KIND OF CALCIUM???

Tanks.

mac

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.