Got my TF-100 Kit today!

dhane3

Jul 7, 2019
Merritt Island, Florida
Really quick delivery! My test results-
Cl 5
Ph 7.8-8.2 (hard for me to determine which color is closer)
CC 4.5
TC 9.5
TA 100 (not sure on this since I was looking for red but it was pink and just kept getting darker pink)
CYA 40

I think these numbers are good? Much appreciation to this forum!

Did you have to put in 10 drops of 0871 reagent to get the FC of 5? Are you using a 10cc sample or 25cc sample? I find 10cc of pool water works best since each drop of reagent then equals 0.5 (or total drops divided by 1/2) to get FC or CC.

Somehow I suspect your testing is off for the CCs. 4.5 is a very high number.

Maddie :flower:

d,
Congrats on your new test kit and welcome to TFP. You've taken the first step to TFP pool bliss with your kit.

You'll need a complete set of results as Felipe suggests and my guess is you may need a little practice before you start changing your pool chemistry. As Maddie indicates your cc is suspect for a clear pool First look at the videos on Taylor's website by clicking here. Also when you do the pH test make sure to hold it up to a white background. A white cloud works but blue sky does not. Next, read through TFP for beginner's link in my signature below. I've also added a few helpful additional links below. After this please post your confirmed set of results. Also please add more information in your signature. Like your equipment model numbers, type of pool finish etc. Also post a photo of the pool with a description if possible.

As you start using TFP methods you'll have experts here all the way. Very soon you'll be doing it with no help at all. If you have any questions at any time please do ask. People are on here only to help and they love doing it. Plus they don't sell a thing so the advice is never conflicted.

Good luck and we're looking forward to your next post.

Chris

Pool School

ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Recommended Levels

Pool Math Instructions

That is some very nice looking water for a CC of 3. Be absolutely sure you did that test correctly.

Have you added any non-chlorine shock to this pool?

That is some very nice looking water for a CC of 3. Be absolutely sure you did that test correctly.

Have you added any non-chlorine shock to this pool?
No shock. Only chlorine. I followed directions carefully but I’ll repeat again this evening to make sure.
I have been using test sticks and thought my ph was too high after adding borax. I was waiting for my test kit to have more accurate reading. I’m a little leery of muriatic acid.

With a vinyl pool and no SWCG you can use dry acid. You get alot of rain that will exchange your water too.

Reactions: dhane3

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Muratic acid is better. No sulfates. As Marty said it doesn't matter as much with the vinyl pool and no SWG, but this way you'll be sure. I would bring pH down now. The rain won't affect it much except maybe to raise it further. It is a little more dangerous to handle and more of a pain to add than the dry acid.

Be downwind from the MA when you add it. The stuff gives off really strong fumes that can get in your lungs. Be careful not to splash any and pour slowly into the pool at a return while it's running. Wear old clothes. :)

Your FC is on the low end of acceptable - you want to keep it up around 6-8. Add enough to get to 8. Then, test daily and add enough to get to 8 each day. Don't let it drop below 3. You add the same way as I said you add the acid above, but give it a good 30 minutes when you add one before adding the other - don't want the acid and chlorine to get mixed at all.

Keep an eye on that CC number. 1 is a little worrying but not overly so. If it goes any higher you might want to SLAM it.

Before you adjust pH next time be sure to get a TA reading done so you can use your TA as part of figuring out how much chem you need to add.

Other than that if the water looks good, just test FC and CC daily, add liquid chlorine to get to 8ppm each time, and check your pH at least once a week or so. :)

Keep an eye on that CC number. 1 is a little worrying but not overly so. If it goes any higher you might want to SLAM it.

Before you adjust pH next time be sure to get a TA reading done so you can use your TA as part of figuring out how much chem you need to add.

Other than that if the water looks good, just test FC and CC daily, add liquid chlorine to get to 8ppm each time, and check your pH at least once a week or so. :)
My TA was 80, I didn’t check it yesterday before adding the chlorine and acid. The water doing the cc test is slightly pink. So, even though I’m at 8, I’m just barely there with the 1 reading? I added a cup of chlorine this morning and usually add 1-2 daily except for yesterday when I was trying to raise it. My water does look good but I get a lot of tree leaves/sticks/dirt litter daily that I scoop out. Some of it sinks and I’ve been vacuuming it. I just got a new pole for my leaf rake so hoping I can get the leaves without getting in the pool. Thanks for your help!

My TA was 80, I didn’t check it yesterday before adding the chlorine and acid. The water doing the cc test is slightly pink. So, even though I’m at 8, I’m just barely there with the 1 reading? I added a cup of chlorine this morning and usually add 1-2 daily except for yesterday when I was trying to raise it. My water does look good but I get a lot of tree leaves/sticks/dirt litter daily that I scoop out. Some of it sinks and I’ve been vacuuming it. I just got a new pole for my leaf rake so hoping I can get the leaves without getting in the pool. Thanks for your help!

d,
Your CC is a little high and probably due to the debris. All organic compounds will consume FC. First they react to form a combined chlorine then eventually they fully oxidize all the way down to gases that vaporize and your CC will drop; You can raise your FC to 10 for a few days and it should completely oxidize the chlorine consuming compounds. Then drop back down to normal range. The rest looks great! Enjoy your pool and don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions.

Keep up the great work, you're well on your way to TFP gorgeous pool bliss!

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.