Holly Springs, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair iChlor 30
One week ago, I replaced the multiport valve on my sand filter. During the process, I took the time to replace some of the PVC piping to remove a Nature 2 mineral cartridge and relocate the unions so it would be easier to remove the valve for deep cleaning and also easier to replace the valve in the future. I put everything back together and started up the pump. Everything was leak free. On Friday, we lost power in a storm around 6:00pm. At 2:00am in the morning, the power came back on. I decided to take our new puppy outside for her to go potty. I could hear what sounded like a waterfall in the distance. I went over the the equipment pad to see the male threaded fitting on the outlet of the MPV snapped off with just the threaded portion stuck in the MPV. Apparently, I must have applied too much force when I screwed in the threaded adapter. I caught this before the pool was drained down to the bottom of the skimmers which would have left the pump sucking air.

Now removing the threaded PVC section from the MPV was going to be an adventure. It broke off flush so there was nothing to grab. I didn't have any tools to grip the inside of the pipe to try to unscrew it. With the help of a friend, we chose to use the method of heating the PVC to soften it and then pry it out. We started with flammable PVC glue. We would coat the inside and then light it. Let it burn a little, snuff the flame and then try to pry the PVC. It was slowing softening but not enough. Then we got the propane torch and then just very quickly applied the flame to the inside. Maybe one second at a time. After a few tries, the PVC bended and we yanked it out of the MPV. It worked real well in that there was little damage to the threads on the MPV.

I rebuilt the section of pipe between the MPV and union. I put everything back together - this time without excessive force. Restarted the pump and there were no leaks.

Last edited:
Finally after 2.5 weeks, Inyo Pools has issued me a credit for the multiport valve they sent me. I had to bug them one more time saying I provided all the documentation and reminded them good customer service brings repeat purchases. The story is that I ordered a CMP multiport valve for my Hayward sand filter. They sent a Praher Plastics one instead. Both have the same dimensions. The Praher MPV is $40 cheaper. All I wanted was a refund of the difference between the two valves.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.