Got lazy testing...and BAM!, no CYA

suzook

Apr 15, 2014
Stony Brook, NY
So over the years I can pretty much look at my water and know if the chlorine is high enough. Yes, this is dumb, but I usually just test at opening, adjust all levels, and just eyeball it. Its actually worked the last 6 years. Last week, pool looked not so sparkly, checked the chlorine, and ZERO! Hmmm, been hot and sunny, so i checked CYA, and what do you know, big fat zero!!! I havnt added CYA since the pool was built 6yrs ago. I know, very dumb. So the moral of the story, is don't get lazy testing. Especially the chlorine and PH on at least a weekly basis. I will definately be testing all levels every opening again. I just forgot about that lovely cya keeping the chlorine from burning up in an hour.

CYA does more than just buffer chlorine and protect it from the sun, it significantly enhances "water feel" of the pool. With no CYA your pool would be very harsh to swim in, even at low chlorine levels.

We all get complacent when a pool is on cruise control. It happened to me last week as well. My FC, salt, and CYA had fallen more than I like in-part because of lots of rains and overflow. I had to do a bit of catch-up because I could tell my water lost its sparkle.

Didn't notice any harsh feel, maybe because its saltwater.
Orrrrrrrrr………. It’s because you had no CYA for longer than you knew and any chlorine went *poof*

You are very very fortunate to have not gotten a swamp in the meantime. Glad you have a new outlook on keeping tabs on your chemistry !!

Orrrrrrrrr………. It’s because you had no CYA for longer than you knew and any chlorine went *poof*

You are very very fortunate to have not gotten a swamp in the meantime. Glad you have a new outlook on keeping tabs on your chemistry !!
Agreed! I think what saved me, was my solar cover is on when we don't use it, probably keeping some of that chlorine in.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.