Got an Intex Sand Filter but Need Info on Pool Sand

May 24, 2016
Ripley/MS
Hello. We have an Intex Ultra Frame 18' x 52" pool that we got last year. This year we bought the Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter that does 3,000 gph. It is a 16in tank. It says on the label that it takes #20 Silica sand and the capacity is 120lbs. So, does it take the full 120lbs? Also, is there anything I need to know about this sand? And if anyone knows, do we need the hose adapters that convert 1.25" to 1.5"? The right side hoses are two smaller hoses that go into a valve plunger and then into the bigger white hose. The left side is just a bigger white hose going from the current filter to the left plunger. Thank you!
Intex 28651EG 3000 GPH Sand Filter Pump with GFCI (110-120 Volt) bought from Amazon.

- - - Updated - - -

I saw where a review for some #20 silica sand said it passes right through the Intex filter so the person bought HTH brand or something like that and said it does better. Can anyone shed some light on that please? Thanks.

If the sand is labeled as pool sand or #20 sand it should be suitable for your filter. Different companies have different quality practices so some sands are very well washed/rinsed and have little dust, other brands may be very dirty sand with lots of dust that can come out when you first start up the filter. Quikrete pool sand a few years back comes to mind for sand that was routinely dirty for some users. After first adding the sand, it's a good idea to Backwash the sand until sight glass is clear to make sure any dust is going to waste, not your pool. Then rinse for 30 seconds, then to Filter. Add the full 120 pounds.

I'm less familiar with AG plumbing set ups, but you may need adapters if the filtration system fittings are different than your pool plumbing and fittings.

Thank you! That is good information. This is my first time with a sand filter. I heard good stories about it and wanted to try it. I plan to get the sand soon. And, I should be able to check the hose sizes and know whether I need the adapters. They ship Prime so they would be here quickly if I do.

SAnd over cartridge filter anyday of the week... the little bit of Sand you get in the pool, is far easier to deal with over the stupid cartridge.... But yes track down "pool" sand

I second JV's warning about the sand, make sure after you put the sand in and hook everything up that you backwash until the water is clear. I just switched from cartridge to sand this week (the fiberglass on the filter housing was breaking down and I was sick of wearing gloves to handle it) and I got my sand at Menards. Off-topic, but it was back with the cement instead of with any other type of sand, so keep that in mind when you look for it. So I knew it would be interesting by the amount of dust wafting out of the filter as I filled it. I hooked everything up, switched to backwash, and turned on the pump. The water coming out was brown and took 3-4 minutes before running clear. I don't even want to think what it would have looked like going in to my pool. So make sure to backwash and then rinse the filter before switching it to filter.

Reactions: lastevns
What brand pool filter sand did you buy? All star? I’ve been told not to use the full 120 lbs recommended for my 3000 gph sand filter, use 96 lbs. I’m heading to menards now to buy 3 50 lb bags. My filter pump has a line of where to fill the sand up to.

I got my sand from Ace hardware for $10 bucks a 50#bag. Have slightly smaller filter, same brand. Just backwash before you circulate and filter. Do it again after about a week. Then as needed. There will be a line on the intake tube min/max. Just follow directions. Easy peasy.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.