Good sized rust spot on the inside of my pool wall, what can I do?

Danny56

Jul 25, 2019
Illinois
I'm replacing the liner on my about 18 year old above ground pool and came across this nasty rust spot.

Screenshot_1.png

It looks like it was taped over before the previous liner was installed and it just got worse. In fact, the last liner was extremely thin where the rust spot was even though the liner just had a small hole that I had patched. I was thinking about getting an aluminum sheet metal square and just using foil tape to secure it to the wall to protect the new liner over all the rust. I know I need to sand the rust down but I am afraid it might weaken the wall. There's also a small pin hole on the outerside of the wall but that's all you can really see on the outside. What would be the best way to go about this?

If that is the only area of rust you are really lucky. Sand that area down to bare metal, treat it with a rust inhibitor and patch it with bondo. There is a chance the hole will get larger, however as long as it remains less than a inch or so it is more cosmetic than structural. You do want to make sure the oxidation processed is stopped in that area or you will end up doing it again in a couple of years. If you can try to treat the entire inside wall with rust inhibitor to prevent other problems from popping up.

Thanks for all of the suggestions! This is the only rust spot I could find around my entire pool so that's the good thing. I will try sanding it off, applying bondo, and then spray painting it with rust-oleum. I'll cover it all up with sheet metal and tape it off to keep the new liner protected as much as possible. Probably only going to use the pool for a few more years so this should be good enough.

Round the corners of the sheet metal and triple tape the edges with duct tape to protect the new liner. Please document the process and take lots of pictures. Many people come here looking for answers and never post a question, they'll just move on if they don't find anything useful. Your photos could be a great help to someone else. Good luck!

Round the corners of the sheet metal and triple tape the edges with duct tape to protect the new liner. Please document the process and take lots of pictures. Many people come here looking for answers and never post a question, they'll just move on if they don't find anything useful. Your photos could be a great help to someone else. Good luck!
Good idea. I probably won't tackle it until a few weeks but I'll make sure to post the results here!

Reactions: zea3 and JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.