Good economical sequestering agent?

dford8583

Nov 30, 2019
Mobile, Alabama
I have identified stains on my pool liner are iron by doing the vitamin c in a sock test. It was amazing how the stain lifted immediately when I moved the sock across the stain! I immediately ordered a bucket of ascorbic acid and have it coming to the house. I am following the ascorbic treatment instructions. It mentions a sequestering agent being used before bringing the chlorine up. Upon looking online at some of the recommended sequestering agents, they look expensive. Is there a recommended sequestering agent that is more cost efficient?

Have you read the following article? It provides suggestions on how to filter out the iron once you release it from the pool surfaces. Also some sequestering agent recommendations.

The iron can be filtered out if not sequestered.
It is a dance as once your are done with the AA treatment, if the iron level is high enough, you can get staining once you reintroduce chlorine. But you need chlorine or you will get algae.
As you get rain, devising a catchment apparatus that could displace some of your high iron pool water with iron free rain water would make sense, if possible.

There are a number of innovative methods in threads within the forum. Some are linked at the bottom of the Wiki article I linked to.

I see. Yeah I did check out some of that. I have a long gutter close to my pool. I will look into rigging that to catch some water for the pool.
I am wondering if my fill water is responsible. Are there recommended test kits to check ppm of iron in my pool and also my fill water?

Fill water would be your only source.
We typically recommend using a pool store to test for metals. The test kit is expensive. And accuracy is not really needed.

Reactions: dford8583
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.