Good Afternoon

ireckon

Apr 4, 2023
Hazel Green, Alabama
Hi,

I installed an 18' above-ground Intex Pool last year. I joined the forum for two reasons. 1. After a hard freeze this year, my pump started leaking at the top of the tank while running. In the American way, I shut off both valves from the pool and decided to deal with it in the spring. Now that spring is here, it's time to fix the problem. 2. I want to learn the best ways to remove algae and keep the pool clean.

After opening the valves to let water back into the pump, it immediately started to leak. Photo attached. The power is not on.

Attachments

• Pump Leak.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Hi and welcome!

It sounds like you did no winterizing to the pool at all which could be an issue. Either the water expanded and caused the plastic to crack or if you were lucky it just dislodged the fittings and they need to be put back. Hopefully it's a simple fix. No video came through.

Hi and welcome!

It sounds like you did no winterizing to the pool at all. It Either the water expanded and caused the plastic to crack or if you were lucky it just dislodged the fittings and they need to be put back. Hopefully it's a simple fix. No video came through.
Thank you. It usually doesn't get that cold here, so I left the pump running through winter. Yes, I'm having trouble uploading the video.

Thank you. It usually doesn't get that cold here, so I left the pump running through winter. Yes, I'm having trouble uploading the video.
Depending on how cold it got and for how long it could have frozen up if water wasn't running for any reason. I woke up to 32 F yesterday but the water on my cover was not frozen ... there was a lot of water underneath it to warm it up enough, can't say that's true if it stayed 32 F for a few days. Living in NJ we (I?) just shut down the pool and winterize comes September. Maybe post photos!

Your video hasn’t come through- you can’t upload videos directly to the forum but you can upload videos to YouTube then post the link.
Here are all the parts available for your model - hopefully one of these is your cracked part. 👇
If you have algae you will need to do the
SLAM Process with liquid chlorine to eradicate of it. You will also need a functioning pump & filter.
Exchanging most or all of the water can help this go more quickly & require a bit less liquid chlorine overall. Since liquid chlorine is quite pricey these days & water cost may be more affordable.
Doing the slam process & following the tfp methods requires you have an accurate test kit, the tf100 xl (at tfTestkits .net) or taylor k2006c (various online retailers) are recommended because of the specific tests they contain.
See —> Test Kits Compared
Getting a kit on order asap is the 1st step. Aquiring some liquid chlorine is step 2.
Deciding whether or not to exchange water is step 3.
You may need to wait until you’re pump is repaired/replaced to get things going if it’s not functional.
If you intend to drain, scrub & refill you could start the draining & scrubbing while you wait for parts & your kit.

Reactions: VinnyinNJ
Your video hasn’t come through- you can’t upload videos directly to the forum but you can upload videos to YouTube then post the link.
Here are all the parts available for your model - hopefully one of these is your cracked part. 👇
If you have algae you will need to do the
SLAM Process with liquid chlorine to eradicate of it. You will also need a functioning pump & filter.
Exchanging most or all of the water can help this go more quickly & require a bit less liquid chlorine overall. Since liquid chlorine is quite pricey these days & water cost may be more affordable.
Doing the slam process & following the tfp methods requires you have an accurate test kit, the tf100 xl (@TFTestkits .net) or taylor k2006c (various online retailers) are recommended because of the specific tests they contain.
See —> Test Kits Compared
Getting a kit on order asap is the 1st step. Aquiring some liquid chlorine is step 2.
Deciding whether or not to exchange water is step 3.
You may need to wait until you’re pump is repaired/replaced to get things going if it’s not functional.
If you intend to drain, scrub & refill you could start the draining & scrubbing while you wait for parts & your kit.
Mdragger, thank you for the resources. Yes, getting the pump fixed is my first priority. I was able to attach picture to the original post. But I've attached it here also. Thank you again.

Attachments

• Pump Leak.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 3
Mdragger knows it better than me but it looks like you may need part 33 which is the whole pump motor and control. Not too bad of a price for the repair! You'll need to take off the prefilter and put it back onto the new part.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You may want to go on the intex site & search your exact size & model year pump to ensure you are getting the correct part. The leak appears to be in the pump motor & control unit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.