Going on vacation- how to keep pool somewhat balanced?

Jul 23, 2018
Central NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi TFP-

I switched from pool-store products to TFP 4 weeks ago and have seen a dramatic improvement in my pool water. Of course, doing things the TFP way requires daily routine testing and dosing. I'm going on vacation next week and wondering how do I keep my pool water reasonable decent for when I return. I still have tricolor pucks and shock powder from before I switched to TFP, but am reluctant to use pucks in a float because it's been a struggle to get from 162+ CYA down to the current 90. What suggestions do you all have for me?

Thanks in advance!

You can raise the pool to slam level just before you leave. If you have a pool cover, covering the pool will help the FC last longer. If you have a timer and are reasonably sure the skimmer won't clog with debris while you are away, or you can pull water from a main drain, you can buy a new floater and use cal-hypo tablets to help maintain the FC level. Another option is a dependable friend or neighbor who is willing to put a jug or two of bleach in the pool while you are away. How long will you be gone?

If you do decide to get some cal-hypo tablets you must buy a new floater. Cal-hypo and trichlor/dichlor react violently to each other and even a small amount of residue is enough to start a fire. Cal-hypo tablet binders also tend to leave some goop behind in the floater as they dissolve.

Hi TFP-

I switched from pool-store products to TFP 4 weeks ago and have seen a dramatic improvement in my pool water. Of course, doing things the TFP way requires daily routine testing and dosing. I'm going on vacation next week and wondering how do I keep my pool water reasonable decent for when I return. I still have tricolor pucks and shock powder from before I switched to TFP, but am reluctant to use pucks in a float because it's been a struggle to get from 162+ CYA down to the current 90. What suggestions do you all have for me?

Thanks in advance!

We are going on vacation next week too. Someone is coming to stay at our house. I will give them five bags of cal hypo (Refresh brand) to add one every other day and to turn on the pump in morning and off at night. Easier than measuring Cl levels and fooling with liquid bleach. I hope to have the skimmer basket emptied too—hopefully it won’t be too gross with dead frogs!

I hope this is a good plan.

If you can't get someone to check in on the pool daily, I would just float some cal-hypo pucks for the time you're away. Just be aware that they will raise your CH. Also note that they're not all that cheap, and in my experience, there's a tendency to deposit a blue residue that cleans up easily with my pool cleaner.

I have a SWG, so that helps me. Even with that, it can't always keep up. I try to monitor things before going on vacation to see what's going on, how chlorine is going etc. I usually pay a neighbor's pool person to come by and check on things once a week while I'm gone. It's not everyday, but at least it's someone who has a clue about what's going on. I've found that works better than trying to get a neighbor to check on things. We were gone for about 9 days and came home and found everything fine.

Ah, the joys of having an autocover and SWG! We just close the cover, keep the pump on its normal schedule and reduce the SWG slightly. We've gone for 17 days this way before.

We always come home to a pristine pool, and tests are totally fine.

Maddie :flower:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ah, the joys of having an autocover and SWG! We just close the cover, keep the pump on its normal schedule and reduce the SWG slightly. We've gone for 17 days this way before.

We always come home to a pristine pool, and tests are totally fine.

Maddie :flower:

Perfect thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.