Going on vacation for a week. Should I add the chlorine pucks to a floater or inside the automatic chlorine feeder?

debmar

Jun 19, 2019
MASS
And how much should I add? I tried to use the effect of adding, but I don't understand it. The pucks are Leslie Pools 99 % Tri-Chlor, 3 inch 8 ounce each. My average liquid added each date is 1 quart 2 cups. Thank you.
FC 8.0
CC 0.0
CYA 50
PH 7.8
This is my feeder below.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-14 at 5.00.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-14 at 5.00.24 PM.png
    42.3 KB · Views: 11
sinice your using 1.5 quarts per day (assuming 10% bleach) that’s only 2 ppm fc a day. you could easily take it to slam level and put a few pucks in the feeder for insurance.
i’d bring the pool level up on the skimmer some and get the ph in the lower 7’s.. then go?

sinice your using 1.5 quarts per day (assuming 10% bleach) that’s only 2 ppm fc a day. you could easily take it to slam level and put a few pucks in the feeder for insurance.
i’d bring the pool level up on the skimmer some and get the ph in the lower 7’s.. then go?
Hi, I'm actually using 12.5% bleach. So bring it up to slam and put in a few pucks, like 4? And this should keep my pool with FC until I get back? Feeling worried I will come back to a messed up pool ! lol

I am in a similar situation than you about going to vacation and I am asking the same thing at the moment. I also have a similar chlorinator. My plan was to put 3 pucks in the chlorinator and setting it around the middle and to bring FC to SLAM level with liquid chlorine. I am still debating about my strategy so I am also curious to see what others have to say about this.

Reactions: debmar
Here is your situation, using Pool Math including your pool water volume at the top of the page and the effects of adding chemicals at the bottom. 32 oz of trichlor will raise your chlorine 12 ppm AND raise your CYA by 7.2 ppm. The caveat is, those pucks would have to be "dissolved" to add 12 ppm.

You'll be back from vacation before the pucks will be completely dissolved.

That's what I don't know, how much should I add to last me a week.. so I guess I will add enough to slam and add pucks as well?

How many PPM of chlorine does your pool use each day on average? Multiply that by seven. Use pool math to figure out how many ounces of liquid chlorine you should add and then add pucks for extra protection. Disclaimer: This is how I do it, but I do not add pucks. I am no pool professional and don't know if this is how they do it. It works for me.

Here is an example in case you do not use pool math. I use 10% liquid chlorine. Pool math tells me that adding 22oz will raise my chlorine levels by 1 ppm. I have actually found it's closer to 24oz. So I know my pool uses approx. 3ppm each day in this Az sunshine. So 3ppm a day x 7 days = 21ppm. (21ppm x 22oz = 462oz/128 the number of ounces in a gallon of chlorine = 3.6 gallons.) Someone correct me if Im wrong, because thats how I do it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That's what I don't know, how much should I add to last me a week.. so I guess I will add enough to slam and add pucks as well?

I see you're using the PoolMath and you've been taking VERY good logs. The answer of how much FC per day you're using is right there. :D If you click on the "Hamburger Menu" and select the Summary tab you'll see a total of how much FC you've added over the last XYZ days. I would go ahead and select the last 30 days and see the total amount of FC added to your pool. Divide that number by 30 and you'll see your personalized FC per day usage.

Reactions: debmar
Okay, if I am reading Effects of adding correctly, if I add just one puck it will raise my FC 3.0 bring my FC over 8.0? confused sorry... feeling dumb asking for help still. Added pool math screen shots.

Attachments

• Image-1-1.jpeg
    Image-1-1.jpeg
    125.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Image-1.jpeg
    Image-1.jpeg
    159.5 KB · Views: 10
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.