Going crazy

Sep 11, 2015
new city ny
First year in the past 20 that I haven’t had the pool open by Memorial Day. Water looks fine but very cloudy. When I add granular chlorine the pool turns into a white sheet. Little to no Free chlorine as measured with test strips. Free chlorine as measured at Leslie’s pools is in acceptable range. However, total chlorine is very high. So far I’ve tried 5 lbs of granular sodium dichlor, 16 lbs of granular calcium hypochlorite, and just now 6 gallons of liquid sodium hypochlorite. Still cloudy. I’ve open and cleaned the DE grids three times so far. And I still haven’t vac’d cause I can’t see what I am vacuuming. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 852D7CF4-13E5-4AF2-9CA2-C5DD8243D167.jpeg
    852D7CF4-13E5-4AF2-9CA2-C5DD8243D167.jpeg
    538.3 KB · Views: 15
  • EEF5051B-5551-4B45-A3CC-B93F94968740.jpeg
    EEF5051B-5551-4B45-A3CC-B93F94968740.jpeg
    513.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Wow
Reactions: Shirker
First year in the past 20 that I haven’t had the pool open by Memorial Day. Water looks fine but very cloudy. When I add granular chlorine the pool turns into a white sheet. Little to no Free chlorine as measured with test strips. Free chlorine as measured at Leslie’s pools is in acceptable range. However, total chlorine is very high. So far I’ve tried 5 lbs of granular sodium dichlor, 16 lbs of granular calcium hypochlorite, and just now 6 gallons of liquid sodium hypochlorite. Still cloudy. I’ve open and cleaned the DE grids three times so far. And I still haven’t vac’d cause I can’t see what I am vacuuming. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
9A9B9834-D4B1-4F9F-85E8-15A977EB79D6.jpeg

You need to

1. Get your own test kit. Test Kits Compared We recommend the TF-100. Pool store testing is notoriously inaccurate and we won't base any recommendations off it. Get your own test kit, and provide a summary of your results as

FC
CC
PH
TA
CA
CYA

2. Until you get your test kit, add 5 ppm liquid chlorine daily. You can figure that using PoolMath. Add it at night so that you maintain a high level overnight and most of the day. Be sure your liquid chlorine is not any Clorox product, and doesn't have any splashless, fabric protection, fragrances, or any other additive.

3. When you get your kit, start a SLAM Process. Post here when you're ready, and we can help you along.

You need to

1. Get your own test kit. Test Kits Compared We recommend the TF-100. Pool store testing is notoriously inaccurate and we won't base any recommendations off it. Get your own test kit, and provide a summary of your results as

FC
CC
PH
TA
CA
CYA

2. Until you get your test kit, add 5 ppm liquid chlorine daily. You can figure that using PoolMath. Add it at night so that you maintain a high level overnight and most of the day. Be sure your liquid chlorine is not any Clorox product, and doesn't have any splashless, fabric protection, fragrances, or any other additive.

3. When you get your kit, start a SLAM Process. Post here when you're ready, and we can help you along.
I will add you should really dig intoABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Reactions: Wobblerlorri
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.