Going CLOUDY!! HELP!!

Yea, that's the one I found locally when I first got my pool. You can add the DPD test to the kit through tftestkits.net. I use that DPD test that came with the 2005 for my daily testing, then the 2006 for a weekly spot check or for when shocking (which I hope to never do again!)

Even if you drain, you are going to need the FAS for shocking.

So what's the verdict? Should I drain it halfway or is it possible to manage it with bleach until the stabilizer burns off? Im going to have to order the other test kit and it will take a few days to get here...I don't want the pool to be completely wrecked while Im waiting on the kit. Can I shock it with the lithium shock or bleach now??

Stabilizer doesn't "burn off". It goes down very slowly due to splash out, backwashing, overflows and other forms of water replacement.

If it were my pool, I would replace about 1/3 of the water to get the CYA level down to 90. That will make a number of things much easier to handle going forward.

Your FC level is no where near high enough for your CYA level. You should either start draining or add quite a bit of chlorine very soon.

westc,

I would suggest you drain about 1/3 or a little more of your pool. CYA doesn't burn off and you will find it reasonably manageable at 60 instead of 90ppm.

Once that's done and refilled and your CYA retested, then it will be time to really dose it with chlorine.

For now, to keep it in decent shape, simply put in one large jug of clorox each evening (pump running) until you can get your CYA down to 60 and refilled.

Ity sounds like you are ready to get this fixed by tomorrow and it won't work like that. Be very deliberate about how you set up your chemistry and you will have a troublefreepool for years to come....promise! :lol:

Read EVERYTHING you can up in Pool School......especially "How to Shock your Pool" and "ABC's of Pool water chemistry"

Well I got it drained to half about 12:30 am this morning...Its refilling right now. Should be full in about another 2 hours...We have gotten about 2.5" of rain this morning that helped fill too!

OK...Pool drained half and refilled. I have not put anything in yet. Pumps been circulating for 6 hours.
Test results are:
FC 0
TC 0
PH 7.0
TA 102
CYA 51

Ordered FAS kit today and was shipped. Probably be here on Saturday or Monday...What do I need to do in the interim??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would suggest you raise the pH just a little using 20 mule team borax. Shoot for around 7.4. Use the pool calculator and post back up if you have any issues with the calculating the dosage.

Secondly (you can do this at the same time) put in one large jug of Clorox. This evening is best if you're still up. If not, put it in as soon as you can tomorrow. Then continue to put one large jug of clorox each evening until your kit gets in and you can test and post really accurate results.

Your numbers are starting to look good. That was excellent work on the CYA. Tell us how your water looks.

I'm sure you're still circulating 24/7, and the main drain is pulling some of the water too. Do you have a sand filter? When my pool was "almost" clear, even tho the filter pressure showed only a 3psi rise, when I backwashed, the water in the sight glass was filthy! Have you backwashed recently?

I have been so busy that I forgot to get back on and post my results!!

After the half drain/refill, recieving the FAS/DPD test kit, and completing the shock process, the pool was sparkling and crystal clear!! Thank you to everyone on here!! I have not used another chlorine tab or powdered shock since the refill!

However...My son's B-day party was on Saturday...we had about 20 swimmers here all afternoon. By early evening the water was getting cloudy again. I did the full battery of tests and all parameters were perfect! No CC's. Through Sunday and still this morning, it has gotten progressively cloudier. I tested everything again this morning. FC - 8, CC - 0, PH 7.7. Any suggestions or thoughts? Filter was backwashed thoroughly Saturday night and pressure is normal.

It is common for the water to get cloudy for a day or two after a large pool party. Normally all you need to do is up the FC level to the high end of the normal range and everything will get better after 48 hours.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.