Going bigger this year...

May 7, 2018
Greensboro, NC
Good day fellow pool friends.
For the past two years, I’ve had one of those 14’ Summer Waves Elite pools - and rigged the pool filter to connect to an Intex Sand Filter Pump.

Year One - pool was fantastic. No issues with pool chemistry or anything and was fantastic.

Year Two - all heck broke loose. I learned the hard way about using tri-chlor tabs and the lovely cyanuric acid issue - ended the season with algae growth and a CYA over 110ppm... ???

We destroyed the pool and this year bought a lovely Intex XTR 18’ pool. My contractor came out today and leveled the ground and got it ready to go up next week - first weekend in May! Yayyyyy!!

Now, this year - I was thinking of connecting my sand pump to the Intex Salt Water Generator (Link Here) instead of using tri-chlor tabs. What are your thoughts on doing this? I do know this system doesn’t have copper, but the titanium rod in it...which should be better from my understanding.

I know I am done with the tabs. No more of that stuff. Rookie mistake and lesson learned. Speaking of - does that stuff live in pool sand, too? Should I replace my pool sand? This year would be year three...

I’ve done a lot of research on the salt water set-up, but, I want to ask you experts here. It’s either this, or using liquid chlorine, which seems more of a pain in the arse...

I thank you for your help and wisdom in advance.

If you decide to go salt versus manual chlorine, that's great. I recently did as well. Just shop for an SWG that can service a pool that is at least twice as big as yours. That keeps the SWG from working too hard. Many Intex owners uas an SWG. See the link before ore some more ideas.

So that would imply the tablets just raised way more than I would have liked...
Correct. Over time, tabs really do a number on your CYA. So until you get a salt generator installed, just use pool chlorine (regular bleach) and you'll never have that problem. Remember though, with your new pool, new water contains no CYA, so ironically enough you'll need to add some stabilizer. Make sure to use our PoolMath APP so you know exactly how much to add. I would recommend a starting CYA of 40, then go up to 50 if needed once summer really kicks-in. If you go salt right away, we recommend a minimum CYA of 70. Always go back to the FC/CYA Levels to confirm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.