Feb 22, 2017
Katy/texas
I’m in the Houston area and have been noticing an incredible amount of gnats/Black flying ants in my pool. It takes me 30 minutes to net some of them out and there are still tons in the pool. Is anybody else around here having the same problem? I’m wondering if it’s just my yard or a city wide issue? Any suggestions or remedies?

I had that happened to me about a month ago, It lasted for a few days and it reduced tremendously. We are in the Champions area. They may be migrating south and west!

About a month ago I was getting clumps of debris on the pool bottom that looked like algae, no way!
I used by TFP patented 1/2" pvc sampling pole, put my thumb on the end and lowered the open end next to the clump and released my thumb to suck it up.
I deposited the water and debris into a jar and pulled out my 10X hand lens. Lo and behold tiny gnats by the thousands.

I'm having a problem with "springtails." They're about 1/3 rd the size of an ant. They live in moist mulch and garden areas. While swimming yesterday afternoon, I watched them crawl out of the mulch, across the concrete deck, and jump into in pool. They gather in clumps on the surface of the water. I just sprayed the areas around my pool yesterday (Talstar P) and today, don't see them on the deck. Time will tell if it works. This pic is from my F.I.L.'s pool. I gathered some up in a cup and added one drop of dish soap. They drowned and sank to the bottom within a couple minutes. Not quite to a point for me to try Dawn in the pool.

Anybody else have water spiders? They love the skimmer at night and evening, I'll go out at dusk, pull the basket, dump it on the cement and stomp on 3-5 a night. Next day more are hunting there edges of the pool again and will migrate to the skimmer again at night.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Those are the little bastages that keep getting in my pool.

I still saw them crawling around yesterday 24 hours after spraying. I'll check back later to see if the Talstar works. Since I started using this stuff last year, I haven't seen a spider on ant.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.