Oct 20, 2022
Ingleside, Illinois, United States
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi y'all,

Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself.

Installing a used pool this weekend so I thought I'd start a thread so you can all live in my agony too. :)
So, I'm one of those (not so bright) people who would rather buy something like this used and put sweat equity into it. I've done it with a few Hot Tubs (including my current one) and a pool or two over the years.

I started my search MONTHS ago, found one in Indiana (I'm up near the Illinois/Wisconsin boarder) looked great, settled on a price and a day to take it down.
That day came and I made the 3 hour drive, started to take the pool down, cut the liner out and what do you think I saw? Yup, rust everywhere. There was zero rust on the outside of the pool but it was just too much rust to move on. So, made the three hour trek home with an empty rented trailer.

About a month ago I saw one for sale in the middle of Michigan, It was already taken down, and while older, very well maintained. Come to find out he has all the original paperwork on the pool. It's a Embassy Riviera.
So, I rent another trailer and head out to the middle of nowheresville Michigan.

We get there and I hold my breath as he opens the garage door.......

It's nearly perfect. Couple of tiny dents in a couple of uprights and some holes in a couple of the top rails (he had a cover reel) and of course the paint is faded. But everything is there and everything is in amazing condition for a pool that was made in 2004! Load it up, give the guy 300 bucks and I'm on my way back home.
In the next month or two while the weather is still wintery, I ordered gaskets, some misc. parts and a liner. I also sanded and painted everything, with the exception of the wall (I'll have to do that once it's up.)

Little backstory, our house originally had a AGP but for whatever reason the previous owner took it down. I foolishly figured, "Hey no big deal, just cut the sod off and start leveling." LOL boy, was I wrong.

I cut the sod out and start digging.... OMFG...... No.... No..... No.... UGH...
I guess the last pool was burred 18", so when they removed it they filled the hole with rocks and clay.
At this point I wanted to throw the towel in on this project, but.... family.

The place where the pool is going, there is no real way to get any machinery back there without totally ripping up most of the yard. So I start with a shovel and a wheelbarrow.
Luckily for me, we got a 18' pool so I didn't have to manually dig a 30' hole. Yeah, I'm not going to sugar coat it.... it sucked, it really, really sucked. After hours and hours and hours of digging (and one prescription of steroids for my back that I threw out). I'm at virgin soil, leveled and going to start sinking bricks tonight. Pool should be up by Sunday, if I and my back live that long.

hole.jpg
Wish me luck! I'll update with pics.

Sorry! No real update.

Had some of my sons friends over on Saturday to get the blocks set out and leveled.
Then I burnt the **** out of my hand on the grill while making them lunch. LOL, just my luck.

Welp, no pool this weekend!

I'll have an update after this mammoth burn/blister heals on my hand, or this coming weekend whatever comes first.

Last edited:
Sorry! No real update.

Had some of my sons friends over on Saturday to get the blocks set out and leveled.
Then I burnt the sh*^ out of my hand on the grill while making them lunch. LOL, just my luck.

Welp, no pool this weekend!

I'll have an update after this mammoth burn/blister heals on my hand, or this coming weekend whatever comes first.
Welcome to TFP! We do a lot of irrigation down your way, beautiful area.

I love the concept of finding old and making new again. Extremely satisfying when all goes well and a life skill that will end up saving you loads and loads of money while keeping the family happy at the same time. I had once found a 24’ doughboy that was around 30 years old for free on marketplace. This was in my super early days of being an adult and not knowing the ins and outs of pools. It wasn’t until I tore it down and brought it home in my 1998 Chevy Lumina that I realized it was just not salvageable 😂

Keep us in the loop, excited to see the finished build!

Sorry for the delay in getting pics put up, but I had to wait for my hands to heal before typing out a reply. :)
So I did an AWFUL job at taking pics.... sorry.

Pretty uneventful install. The ground work SUCKED. No other way to put it.

On to the few pics I took.

PXL_20230514_013016015.MP.jpg
Pool is up and I cannot explain how bad this picture makes me cringe, as I'm sure it will you. I don't know if it was my phone, an odd angle, the lighting......
But that looks like a hefty toot could make it fall down at any minute. It DOES NOT look like that in real life.

In fact.....
PXL_20230514_013424053.jpg
I know that's a tiny torpedo, but everything has been checked with actual levels and it's dead on. (okay not DEAD on, it's about a 1/4" off side to side)

sand work.jpg
Getting the sand spread out and tamped. (I'm the old dude) :)

Wall up and liner in, starting to put a bit of water in.

pool with some water.jpg
Yup, well water. You know some awful, nasty pics are coming!

messages_0 (1).jpeg
Time to give the pool some chlorine..... anyone thirsty for chocolate milk? Gotta love Iron!
As gross as that looks, it's really amazing to watch rust form in front of your eyes.

It's cool to watch it change when I refill the hot tub too.

messages_0 (2).jpeg
Borrowed an Intex pump from a family member and built the bucket filter.
To be honest, the "waterfall" noise was annoying the crud out of me so I ended up just letting the pool filter take care of the rust and cleaning it like I do the hot tub.
Although the bucket filter was working.

Here's a pic from yesterday, getting MUCH clearer.
cleear.jpg

Now to paint that ugly *** wall (I painted everything else before the install) and start on the rehab of the deck.

Last edited:
I'm in the camp of glutton for punishment. It builds character! :mrgreen:
Ya did good! I can tell ya I've done several above ground builds with a shovel.

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A few more pics from this weekend.

Painted the walls and ran permanent power to the shed in back, that's where the pump/filter will end up.
Digging a 40' trench by hand (other burred utilities in the area) really isn't my idea of an ideal Saturday... But hey, what do I know. lol

Bad pics, sorry.
Also picked up the most awesome vacuum this weekend. it looks like a red tonka truck and I love it.
Her name is Rosie.

Before, looks like a solo cup from the 90's (say hi to Rosie)
Before.jpg
Water still had a little rust in that pic.

And after, walls are painted and water is clear.
Paint.jpg
Yeah, those aren't mine. I'm just holding them for a friend.

This week's after work project is the deck..... oye.

That looks great! Love to see that TFP-clear water in the end. I totally understand how much the digging sucks. We thought "no big deal, it's mostly level, we can do this by hand" and then proceeded to cart away a few yards of dirt one wheelbarrow at a time. Definitely the hardest part of installing a new pool, by FAR.

Just makes that first dip all the sweeter!

....and then proceeded to cart away a few yards of dirt one wheelbarrow at a time. Definitely the hardest part of installing a new pool, by FAR.
Built a 60' long 3' tall berm along the rear fence. a LOT of wheelbarrow trips back and fourth. I'm surprised we still have grass. lol

Well not too much happening with the build, adding on to the deck is this weeks project.

Just wanted to show a few new pics.

I made Rosie some new stickers.
PXL_20230525_002838373.MP.jpg

And since I like rebuilding old things, they generally don't come with today's newest tech. Back when I got my hot tub (that is a WHOLE other rebuild thread) I made a monitor so I could keep an eye on the temps.
Well, with some soldering, burning myself with the soldering iron, a few swear words and some more code......

Pool is now monitored too.
PXL_20230524_113958800.MP.jpg
I have that tv in the garage turn on at 5am and off when I tell the house I'm going to bed.

Here's a link
Link to ThingSpeak

I'll do another update this weekend with the deck!

Oh I forgot to add, when we were putting the stabilizing bars up, I made a big deal not to drop them into the pool and pop the liner.

Can you guess what I did not FIVE MINUTES after telling my family that? :laughblue: :rolleyes:

I could see the fear in my wife and son's eyes. They thought I was going to totally lose my :poop:.

Luckily, I read on here before we got the pool that Boxer patch kits are the best and already had the box on the shelf.
As Homer would say...... D'OH!
If you can't laugh at yourself, who can you laugh at? :LOL:🤣:LOL:

I'll have pics of the deck and backfill for ya'll sometime in the next couple of days.

Well this project is almost over. I want to move the pump\filter into that shed this weekend and then just a little more backfilling to do (and to move on to fixing the big deck...) We've only been here for a year, but it seems like we've been working our tails off this year.

Our house has always been the "hang out house" this just confirms it.
(Only one of those knuckleheads is mine. )

Pool.gif

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.