Gluing Faded PVC Pipe

Jun 16, 2014
Phoenix AZ
I need to cut a section of PVC pipe off due to a leak and redo the plumbing with new couplings and pipe. However I need to attach a PVC coupling to a pipe that is faded. Is this an issue?

Also for PVC Schedule 40 pipe, I am using the following:
Oatey Purple Primer
Oatey Medium Clear PVC Cement

Are these good choices or are there better ones?

I was thinking of heavy body rather than medium body but unsure if that might be too thick and thus hard to use for 2" PVC Sch 40 so sticking with Medium Body for now.

Thanks!

Don't overthink that glue too much. Primer and pvc glue that you have is just fine.

When you say faded, do you mean chalky looking? If so (a pic might help) that is just fine also. The primer will restore the surface and there is virtually no deterioration in strength.

PVC is rated/intended for 80 psi. If you need to hold against pressures like that, then you need to worry about using perfect procedures and the exact right glue and correct applicator (hint, it's not the one in the can).

For the kinds of pressures around a pool, good enough is good enough. Don't skip the primer, but the weight of the glue and the applicator size don't really matter so much as making sure the surfaces are well-coated and holding it for 30 seconds against push-out.

Reactions: rnjw
Here is the picture of the pipe. It is the horizontal PVC closest to the front. I intent to cut the pipe at the elbow on the right and redo the whole section from the elbow down to the infloor pump discharge port. You can see that the top of the pipe is darker and discolored from the sun beating down on it all these years.

IMG_20200710_054334.jpg

So just wondering if there might be issues attaching a coupler around the outside of the pipe?

Clean all that pipe with soap and water using a scotch-brite pad - then, when dry, paint it to protect from the intense AZ sun. You can use something like Krylon spray paint or brush on exterior house paint. Choose a light tan type color. If using an aerosol paint, tape and cover anything you don't want paint on... filter, pump, Jandy valve handles/actuators, etc.

Intense UV can degrade PVC and turn it brown. This mostly happens in Arizona and other high UV locations.

Sand down the PVC to remove the superficial damage and then primer and glue as normal. Give at least an hour to dry.

Paint all plumbing to prevent further damage.

100% concur with using sandpaper to rough it up a bit and help with bonding. The pump connection in my chiller came loose and my re-attachment only lasted a year. Ran into a plumber at Lowe’s who told me about using sandpaper and repair has lasted several years now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.