Globrite Question - Need Opinions and info

Mar 31, 2018
Cypress
So let me start by saying that we are already WAY over our initial build budget. But we keep seeing cool stuff and keep thinking, well if we're going to do it right, we have to do it now.

We are having a 360 infinity spa built and we saw some pics online where they lit up the 'trough/channel' surrounding in the spa. Talked to the PB and the recommend putting 3 Globrite in there represented by the blue circles below but I'd like to save a few bucks and do two lights if it will still look ok and light it up like we hope.

My question is, could I get away with 2 globrites? How bright are they? I couldn't find any details on lumens. Are they bright enough to reach the center of the rounded trough/channel? The channel is about 8" wide and the width of the exterior of the spa is about 11.5'. The red is what I'm thinking.
Light idea.jpg

I would set this layout on the ground using a hose or two and set a lamp in each spot (laying down) to see how well they light up that area. I am thinking you will want to move the (red) lights more into the long side of the trough.

Are there any returns in the trough to help push the water out and into the pool?

Kim:kim:

I would set this layout on the ground using a hose or two and set a lamp in each spot (laying down) to see how well they light up that area. I am thinking you will want to move the (red) lights more into the long side of the trough.

Are there any returns in the trough to help push the water out and into the pool?

That's actually a really good idea. I'm not sure it will show me exactly what I'm looking for but should give us a good idea.

I don't think there are any returns planed for the channel. Do you think there should be?

I would think so to help move the water from back there. That is going to be a hard place to clean and keep clean.

How wide is the trough?

They said it needs to be 9” in case I ever need to replace a light bc the light fixture is long but I’m thinking about asking them to make it 7” if I go with only the two lights in the ‘red’ location. Instead of needing 9” clearance, I should be able to pull it out towards the larger rounded channel.

That is not very wide.............my biggest worry is about the cleaning of that area. The tile it's self and the keeping stuff from gathering back there. While the spillover will be very pretty it will be a pain to keep the tile clean.

I also thought of the splash out caused by the spill over causing problems with your decking as far as water drops and residue as the water dries there.

How do you get into that spa? stepping onto that sloped tile is going to be tricky at best.

hummmmmmmm you say you are over budget.........I can save you some money with this idea..................lose the trough altogether and just have the spill over going into the pool. I am thinking the - of it outweighs the + Just an idea to think about. The cleaning alone with do me in LOL

Debbie Downer here. I'll say it out loud!

Oh, it's definitely form over function. I think it's going to look absolutely gorgeous. And I think you'll absolutely regret it. If that pic is drawn with a 9" trough, then that's about a 27"-30" span to cross, and then a big step down. Most people (everyone?) will not be able to step into the spa, not without stepping on the tile. They'll have to sit down and sort'a butt swivel to get in. And they'll have to crawl their way out. At least one that tries otherwise will slip off that tile. Hopefully that one's foot will not slip into the trough, which could snap their ankle if their foot gets stuck in there as they're toppling over into the spa. Hard to say just how far-fetched that is. How high above the pool water level is the tile? That might make things better or worse.

There is going to be a cleaning issue. How bad will depend on wind direction and the kind and amount of stuff that'll fall into the pool.

Is the plan to run it like a waterfall? That will impact your pH level (aerating pool water like that will cause your pH to rise), and you'll need to be constantly adding acid or using your water feature less than you thought you could, or both.

And if your plan is to evenly light up that trough, I'd guess neither two or three lights will do that properly, attractively. You'll have two or three really bright spots on the raised wall, and then some varying dimmer areas in between. I think two lights will be especially disappointing. If you forge ahead with the trough, fiber optic lighting might be something to look at. I think you can get a nice even glow all the way around with fiber.

I think an attractive stone or tile wall along the back, with a step or two down into the spa, won't look quite as nice, but will be infinitely more practical, and you'll be able to run the thing twice as much (1/2 the pH problem). You can select a tile and still light it up (with some fiber), that will somewhat simulate the original look.

Because you'll be able to get in and out of the thing so much easier/safer, you'll be able to drink a whole lot more, which will somewhat obscure the dagger looks you'll get from wifey each time you two use the spa together...

Haha, debbie downer for sure! Lol... It's going to be 12" above the coping. Our thought would be that you could sit on the raised portion and swivel turn your legs and put them in the hot tub.

The plan is not to use it as a water feature or waterfall but obviously water will spillover when you're using it.

Unfortunately I don't think there is any changing of design happening. It's just a matter of how to make it work best. I was going to go with the Globrite so that it would integrate into all of the other Pentair stuff we're getting. Do you have recommendations on fiber optic lighting to look at?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do you have recommendations on fiber optic lighting to look at?

Sorry, no. Just learning about that tech myself. I was brainstorming with another member about how to light his pool to get rid of shadows, and I showed him some LED rope. But a pool builder poo-pooed that idea and suggested fiber instead. That's all I know so far. I'd love to ditch my pool light for rope or fiber, because I don't like the way the light shines in my eyes. Something else for you to consider if any of your lights might point towards your face where you might sit...

The other thing that could be cool, is if you could extend the fiber to go all the way around the spa, to put a gentle glow around it, 360°.

Thanks for taking my notes as they were intended. I just try to think of things that others might not come up with on their own, so they have the option to do something or not, before everything is in stone...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.