Glass block spillover replace ideas?

Sep 25, 2012
Dunedin, FL
I have several glass blocks that are cracked, water leaks in and have green algea in one of them! i cant find any local pool companies that will replace blocks. Anybody ever replaced them? Ideas for alternatives like rock layers? I thought about just buying a couple concrete blocks/rocks from Lowes/HD but I cant imagine ever rebuilding that space without leaks or even tumbling into the pool! Thanks!20211124_173253 (1).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Wow
Reactions: KJB1
How thick is that section? Maybe you could get some solid cement blocks and then cover in same tile that surrounds rest of the spa? Shouldn't be that hard, just hope you can find the same tile...

One company said they would only replace block with a pool resurface, another said they would cement and retile. Im not thrilled with the cement idea with no matching title available. Couple other said no and one company Ive been begging for months for an estimate....

Im not thrilled with the cement idea with no matching title available
Though I understand wanting matching tile, maybe an option would be to do a tile design in that area that goes with your existing tile? Since it’s specifically the spill over section, it could work…kind of like you already have?

Maybe use a solid white colored tile to kinda match the swirly accents on your existing tile. Or match the dark blue color in that tile and go that direction. Hmmm you could also match the coping grey color you have…I think you have some options outside of searching for 20+ year old tile 🙂

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have several glass blocks that are cracked, water leaks in and have green algea in one of them! i cant find any local pool companies that will replace blocks. Anybody ever replaced them? Ideas for alternatives like rock layers? I thought about just buying a couple concrete blocks/rocks from Lowes/HD but I cant imagine ever rebuilding that space without leaks or even tumbling into the pool! Thanks!
Did you ever come up with a solution for this? I have the exact same issue. Everyone I call wants to resurface the entire pool.20220418_154031.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I also have the same problem but have yet to consult any construction companies.
I have been researching a replacement idea which includes removing my 6 blocks (which are cracked and experiencing the same Algae issues as Dunedin1), and replacing them with a single sheet of transparent material - most likely Plexiglass as I have read that Acrylic will react to sunlight and become yellow. I suspect that the material would need to be 1 inch thick to accommodate the water pressure and I would need to then install a suitable spillway as my current configuration is a piece of marble window sill.

Has anyone considered this solution?? It is not without its challenges since the existing Gunnite is nicely tapered against both sides of the border blocks. Surely a challenging DIY project.

Advice appreciated

Did you decide on what to do? I have the same exact issue, except I have a 8 glass block configuration. I already took out the top row which included the ones that were leaking, but I am going to take out the whole thing.

I have been researching and finding a few places that will sell a cast acrylic (plexiglass) panel that will fit the same dimensions as the original glass block (33x16), but I will need to figure out how to secure it properly and also decide on the thickness. I think a 2" thickness will be more than sufficient, but I am struggling finding any kind of information on how to install it properly (other than massive panels in all the new pools where they actually create a slot (rebate) for the big panel to slide into). For our application, I don't think that is necessary, but to help with any water pressure, I was thinking about getting some kind of L channel that I can cement into the side and have the panel press against that.

Anyway, let me know if you decided on what to do and what it was/is.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about matching the tile. I'd still go the cement/tile route. You could do a cool mosaic, or smaller glass tiles, lighter stacked stone, etc. There are so many options. As long as you don't try to match the tile, and it looks intentional, it could prove to be a very cool focal point!

Reactions: Newdude
All y'all need to take a step back and look at how different it currently looks. It's an accent wall / piece and it's *supposed* to stand out. (y)

Fill the area in and tile with your favorite pattern that doesn't clash with the existing. If you don't like the existing colors, white would work as well as the 'clear' does now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.