Glass block mortar?

Jul 26, 2013
Jensen Beach, FL
Hi all, love this site use it regularly. Wondering if anyone has any experience with glass block spillover, specifically with leaking mortar. The blocks themselves are all in great shape. But, some of the mortar (especially inside the spa) has chipped away. I run the pool about 8 hours in the morning to early afternoon, and when I get up the waterline is down. I can see water dripping out between the top and second row of glass blocks, and into the pol below.

My plan was to drain the spa, ship away the top layer of mortar and any loose pieces, and apply a new coat. Anyone have experience with this? What product should I use? Standard thin set mortar or glass block mortar? Or is there a pool specific product?

Thanks all,
-Don

Attachments

• 20170506_191723.jpg
    20170506_191723.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 20170506_191735.jpg
    20170506_191735.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 49
Thanks Patrick_B. I definitely like it too and want to keep the block. Some people have recommended removing it and form filling concrete in. I don't think that would look as nice especially considering I would be unable to find the matching tile at this point.

Update on this. I bought some glass block mortar and used it. I drained the hot tub, acid washed it and and the tile, removed the excess mortar with a Dremel tool, then filled it back in with new mortar. Once all dried and cleaned out I rerouted the pool water back to the hot tub and overflow and it no longer leaks and looks like new after the heavy cleaning. Thanks all.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.