Glacier Pool Cooler - Help

Do all your wands have a lot of water that comes out from under the wand where it rotates on the shaft? I assume there is no sort of o-ring there as it would cause a friction point but i seem to loose a good bit of water from under the wand that just runs down that pipe and down into the bottom tank.
After reading your post, I was curious, so I went and checked. No water at all coming out from the wand connections - just out of the holes where it’s supposed to.

Do all your wands have a lot of water that comes out from under the wand where it rotates on the shaft? I assume there is no sort of o-ring there as it would cause a friction point but i seem to loose a good bit of water from under the wand that just runs down that pipe and down into the bottom tank.
My cooler has a lot of water that comes out of the middle shaft where the wands attach also. I wasn’t sure if the water is supposed to do that. I tried tightening that white plastic nut in the middle under the white plastic thing all the wands attach to but doesn’t help. Would like to hear from others if they have water coming out in the middle like that.

I still need to hook it up to my system. Im trying to learn how to wire the electrical to my omnilogic system. It's basically a 14/3 wire from the chiller. I can wire it directly to a breaker, but I want to be able to see and control it with the Omni app.

After reading your post, I was curious, so I went and checked. No water at all coming out from the wand connections - just out of the holes where it’s supposed to.
So after reading your reply I got a wrench and went out and took mine apart. Mine must be different than yours. Mine has no sort of seal in there to deter water from coming out the bottom of the wand hub. There is no prevision to add a seal either. Just a cheap design.

Mine has no sort of seal in there to deter water from coming out the bottom of the wand hub.
Maybe I looked at the wrong part. What do you mean by “bottom of the wand hub”? I was looking at the connection point for each wand, where they connect to the post in the middle. I tried taking a video from above, but the fan blades render it useless.

Got it. I thought you were referring to where the wands themselves attach. Regardless, I don’t have water coming out at the point you’re showing in your picture, either. I’m looking down through the screen with the fan running, so it’s kinda hard to see, but I’d be able to see it if it was anything like what’s in your picture. There’s certainly no water cascading over the edge the cap.

Jeff mine looks just like yours. Water pouring down through the middle. Here’s the thing though, at least in my opinion, if all the water just flowed through the wands then they would spin faster and spray water everywhere so you would need to decrease the water flow Into the cooler and one of the main issues I had when trying to get my cooler to cool was that not enough water was flowing in and out of the cooler to make any temperature drop occur. the water pouring down the middle is still being cooled by the fan but probably not as much as the water coming out of the wands. Don’t know if what I just wrote makes any sense…. Hard to write it down in words.

Jeff mine looks just like yours. Water pouring down through the middle. Here’s the thing though, at least in my opinion, if all the water just flowed through the wands then they would spin faster and spray water everywhere so you would need to decrease the water flow Into the cooler and one of the main issues I had when trying to get my cooler to cool was that not enough water was flowing in and out of the cooler to make any temperature drop occur. the water pouring down the middle is still being cooled by the fan but probably not as much as the water coming out of the wands. Don’t know if what I just wrote makes any sense…. Hard to write it down in words.
Yes, if the water is flowing exclusively through the wands, they would spin faster, but that’s why there’s a valve to control the flow. The reason for the wands, the holes in the wands, and the grid of baffles, is to break up the water so that the airflow causes evaporation. I would imagine if too much water is just pouring down that center pipe and into the basin, there wouldn’t be enough evaporation to cool it. But if your chiller is cooling the water, it must not be an issue.

Yes, if the water is flowing exclusively through the wands, they would spin faster, but that’s why there’s a valve to control the flow. The reason for the wands, the holes in the wands, and the grid of baffles, is to break up the water so that the airflow causes evaporation. I would imagine if too much water is just pouring down that center pipe and into the basin, there wouldn’t be enough evaporation to cool it. But if your chiller is cooling the water, it must not be an issue.
The thing that got me investigating this is that when i was checking temps of the water in the wands then in the basin i had my hand next to the center pipe and could feel it was noticeably warmer water running down it. A quick check with my thermometer confirmed this. The majority of this "escaped" water runs down the pipe and is not cooled.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The thing that got me investigating this is that when i was checking temps of the water in the wands then in the basin i had my hand next to the center pipe and could feel it was noticeably warmer water running down it. A quick check with my thermometer confirmed this. The majority of this "escaped" water runs down the pipe and is not cooled.
Jeff, so do you think there’s something wrong with our coolers since water poors down the middle?? Any suggestions or recommendations

I’m in Houston. Anyone know of any certified Glacier Cooler installers in Houston? My pool builder doesn’t have much experience with the Coolers. Would like to have an expert come take a look and verify it is plumbed correctly and I’m operating it correctly
I live in Katy and am on year 2 with a Glacier GCP25 for a 20k gallon pool. It’s outstanding. Here’s my depth sensor at 6 ft. You should be able to maintain an average of 82-83 even on the hottest days.

My pool guys did an amazing job integrating the Glacier into my older pool. DM me and I can see if I can help or put you in touch with my contacts.

Attachments

• IMG_7255.jpeg
    IMG_7255.jpeg
    82.8 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: TheoneAB
I live in Katy and am on year 2 with a Glacier GCP25 for a 20k gallon pool. It’s outstanding. Here’s my depth sensor at 6 ft. You should be able to maintain an average of 82-83 even on the hottest days.

My pool guys did an amazing job integrating the Glacier into my older pool. DM me and I can see if I can help or put you in touch with my contacts.
Very nice. Can you share some pics of the setup? I want to see how they plumb it all. I'm making room on my pad for the chiller now. I will try to have it installed by next week.

I'm new and trying to figure the DM's out. I'd like to see the pics and also would like your installers number as well. My Glacier just arrived on Monday and looking to install ASAP. Thanks

Reactions: jark87
Reactions: kwood969
My Glacier GPC210 arrived today and I have a question about the install. My pool was pre-plumbed when it was built (almost) like the installation manual shows for new pool automation setup as shown in the picture below. My automated 3-way valve is between the filter and the heater. The Pentair MasterTemp heater has an automated bypass installed.

My question is the same for either type of install. In the install manual it says, "Do not pre-set the actuator. Allow the actuator to open 100% for the water flow rate to the cooler and the pool." I understand the ball valve (or in my install a diveter) on the input pipe controls the flow in to the cooler. Am I right in assuming the sentences in the installation manual mean to have the 3-way fully open in both directions while operating then close off the cooler path when not? If so, wouldn't my Intellivalve actuator need to be set where the normal return is always open?

Screenshot_20230713_201312_Samsung Notes.jpg20230713_210547.jpg

My Glacier GPC210 arrived today and I have a question about the install. My pool was pre-plumbed when it was built (almost) like the installation manual shows for new pool automation setup as shown in the picture below. My automated 3-way valve is between the filter and the heater. The Pentair MasterTemp heater has an automated bypass installed.

My question is the same for either type of install. In the install manual it says, "Do not pre-set the actuator. Allow the actuator to open 100% for the water flow rate to the cooler and the pool." I understand the ball valve (or in my install a diveter) on the input pipe controls the flow in to the cooler. Am I right in assuming the sentences in the installation manual mean to have the 3-way fully open in both directions while operating then close off the cooler path when not? If so, wouldn't my Intellivalve actuator need to be set where the normal return is always open?

View attachment 513381View attachment 513382
That is how I read it. My plan is to leave the actuator off and play with the valve settings manually until I achieve the right configuration, then set the actuator accordingly. Hopefully others will chime in as well.

Reactions: KevMo

View attachment 513381View attachment 513382
You’re reading this correctly; you always want flow from the filter inlet through to the heater and back to the pool at all times, then only have the actuator either fully open or fully close the line out to the cooler. Depending on your plumbing, you may need to set the actuator to make a 180 degree rotation which will block flow to the heater for a second, but that’s not really a big deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: KevMo
I'm new and trying to figure the DM's out. I'd like to see the pics and also would like your installers number as well. My Glacier just arrived on Monday and looking to install ASAP. Thanks
I attached a pic of my plumbing. Note my pump is also running a water feature. They were able to automate it with valves, but I can’t run my water feature or spa and the chiller at the same time.

The company I use is Unified Pool Solutions.

Attachments

• IMG_7290.jpeg
    IMG_7290.jpeg
    706.3 KB · Views: 30
Reactions: TheoneAB

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.