Eldomi809

May 2, 2022
Randolph,Ma
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
6 days into slam and $200 in chlorine gone. At first there was progress eventually blind scooping and brushing started to have less and less stuff get kicked up or picked up. I had ran the first 5 days on circulate and today on filter DE (Hayward 3620). In about 8 hours i have gone thru half a bag of DE. At this point FC is dropping slowly so overnight test isnt successful. Water is a cloudy turquoise and i cant even see my 4th step about 3-4feet into the water , let alone the deep end.
Right before this post and last chem add so they should be leveled out.
Fc 8.5 added liquid chlorine
Cc.5
Ph 8 added acid
Ta 50
Ch 190
Cya 30

Feel like i should add clarifier or floc to see something. (Cant attach an image its to large for the server from my iphone)
Edit: IG vinyl Pool oval 28-30k gallons

Last edited:
Can you check that sharing is enabled on your pool math logs? I get an error when i try to open the link.

If you can edit your signature to add your pool info would help out folks too.

Go to the settings tab on the LHS of screen and click on Signature to add the info.

Fc 8.5 added liquid chlorine
Cc.5
Ph 8 added acid
Ta 50
Ch 190
Cya 30
8.5 seems low. Your target should be 12. 3.5 is a lot of loss before you add more.

Also, during a SLAM, you should ONLY be measuring FC and CC. You need to have lowered FC to 7.2 BEFORE you start the SLAM to give you room to have pH increase during the SLAM. Because once you start the SLAM, your pH measurements will be immaculate.
Feel like i should add clarifier or floc to see something.
Never add floc. Ever.

809, hang in there. If your CYA number is accurate, thereby requiring the FC SLAM level of 12, it will work. Pools don't go green overnight, so it takes a while. We certainly understand the cost of chlorine doesn't help, but do your best to remain consistent. Continue to brush, sweep, vacuum, and inspect everywhere you can see or get to. It will pay off.

If you're at the cloudy turquoise stage you're getting there. FC dropping slowly is sign too but you're still killing algae.
Get the chlorine back up to SLAM level and keep it there as much as you can. Test and add at night every couple of hours if you can. The sun not burning it off helps. Brush at least once daily. More is better.
A lot of it now is filtering. That DE filter will clog quickly. Backwash when you hit 25% increase in filter pressure. Run it in recirculate mode when you can't babysit the filter. You'll be surprised how quickly that filter will start clearing it.

As other said, it can take a while for a slam. One thing that really helps is taking a picture of the same spot everyday. You’ll be very surprised at the difference from day to day. Pictures side by side paint a much different picture than memory. Also it almost always starts looking worse (way more cloudy) before it gets better. Cloudy light green is a nice sign you’re on the backside and it will start turning blue rather quickly. Just keep going.

I’m brushing 2x a day. Numbers were in line prior to start of slam except cya which was low/less than 30 so i added stabilizer until it rose. Now i maintain fc at 12 and tried lowering ph for the first time today.
The loss from 12 to 8.5 was over a 7 hour period.

Also i have this yellowy film/substance that is floating in the water. Most times it accumulates at the border of the water/vinyl but sometimes its spreads out looking like when someone who has a bunch of sunscreen jumps in the pool. Is this pollen or perhaps something else?

Also i have this yellowy film/substance that is floating in the water. Most times it accumulates at the border of the water/vinyl but sometimes its spreads out looking like when someone who has a bunch of sunscreen jumps in the pool. Is this pollen or perhaps something else?
If it is floating and sticking to the water tile, most likely pollen.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Most likely pollen, I've seen a lot of it this year too.

Do you know what you expect to be at currently for cya based on past readings and what you added? Can't see your logs for some reason so not sure if you just added today. CYA takes 24-48 hour to show up on a test again, so you should be dosing assuming you are at CYA level you added to.

Most likely pollen, I've seen a lot of it this year too.

Do you know what you expect to be at currently for cya based on past readings and what you added? Can't see your logs for some reason so not sure if you just added today. CYA takes 24-48 hour to show up on a test again, so you should be dosing assuming you are at CYA level you added to.
Im not sure what the problem with the logs is. Maybe its because im still using the free version, it only logs my last reading but it logs all of my chemical additions.
i measure cya at the opening and after 5 hours of circulation. Added 4 pounds using the sock method. When one sock dissolved i pulled them both and waited a day and retested, cya at 30, 2 days later again at 30. So my assumption is that when i opened, it was under 30 but the tools only goes to 30 . The one sock dissolving must have been enough to bump it up

Im not sure what the problem with the logs is. Maybe its because im still using the free version, it only logs my last reading but it logs all of my chemical additions.
i measure cya at the opening and after 5 hours of circulation. Added 4 pounds using the sock method. When one sock dissolved i pulled them both and waited a day and retested, cya at 30, 2 days later again at 30. So my assumption is that when i opened, it was under 30 but the tools only goes to 30 . The one sock dissolving must have been enough to bump it up
Yea the free version only saves last result. For some reason I get an error saying it can't load on yours but I can pull up others that responded. Might be on my end though not really sure

So you added up to 16ppm of cya depending on if you let all 4 pounds dissolve. Make sure to check and scrub light fixtures, ladders, weir door area and any other small areas. Otherwise sounds like you are moving in the right direction

Reactions: Eldomi809
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.