Getting those ladder and railing posts into their respective concrete holes

Jun 12, 2013
Buffalo, NY
I feel dumb for asking this but they say the only stupid question is one that isn't asked...

Does anyone have any tricks for getting things like ladders and rails INTO their holes when opening their pool? Each year I spend FOREVER struggling with mine and this year is no different. I what I believe is a standard setup with the set screw and 'wedge' ... I've found a million articles on how to get them OUT of the holes if they're stuck, but what about getting them in? They are so tight and getting both posts into the holes at precisely the right angle/pressure is driving me crazy. Am I supposed to be applying any kind of lubricant? Maybe some wd-40 or something? Tell me your secrets diy openers!!

With 2 people apply little pressure and alternate until they are in. Then one person holds down and tighten just enough so they do not budge, and do not over tighten them. Before placing make sure that the bolts are loose and not tight. I only have issues with the hand rail with the back leg popping out, buy a little pressure with the hand and then I tighten less than 1 1/2 turns.

Use hot water and a small brush and clean inside the cups, then vacuum out as you probably have some excess dried bleach, crud, etc. The industry should make a better design.

My guess is that while your spacing is right on the holes, either the cups themselves or the poles are off angle, so you end up with one pointing right and the other left so to speak.

You might be able to bend the poles slightly to help if you look closely to see what is off angle.

One idea, put the ends of the poles in a bucket of ice water, which will shrink the metal. This will possibly make it easier to install.

Thanks - I took both of your advice, cleaned the holes out (there was a lot of sand in there ... thought maybe it was there on purpose?) and also used the ice water trick.

I also took some fine-grit sand paper and got the metal ends of the poles nice and shiny/slick looking, and sprayed them with wd-40.

In the end they went in much easier than before. Still a pain, but a lot less swearing. Thanks for the tips!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.