Getting the levels right

May 9, 2016
Dallas, PA
Hello all!

Just finished the SLAM of my pool this year, and we added a new NG heater. In the manual for the heater it requires certain levels for the chemicals.

Currently I need to reduce my ph from 8.0 to 7.4-7.6.
I need to increase my TA from 60ppm to 80-120
and I need to increase my CH from 120 to 200-400.

I have used the pool math calc for the amounts I need, but I am asking the experience of this group, what order should I focus my efforts as I know some of these chemicals will impact another reading (like if I set my ph correct first, but change the TA and my ph gets out of whack).

Thanks for all the help!

I can understand wanting to follow their levels. The pH should be kept in the 7's regardless. The TA, it has no effect so I would not change it. If it gets to 50 add enough baking soda to get it to 70.

The CH, you can add. We believe it is from the days of old boiler technology that the requirement for calcium is stated for these heaters. But it will not hurt anything to take it to 200. I would not waste any money going above that.

Add the calcium slowly. Lower the pH first. Adding calcium with elevated pH can cause cloudy water.

Take care.

I can understand wanting to follow their levels. The pH should be kept in the 7's regardless. The TA, it has no effect so I would not change it. If it gets to 50 add enough baking soda to get it to 70.

The CH, you can add. We believe it is from the days of old boiler technology that the requirement for calcium is stated for these heaters. But it will not hurt anything to take it to 200. I would not waste any money going above that.

Add the calcium slowly. Lower the pH first. Adding calcium with elevated pH can cause cloudy water.

Take care.

Awesome info! Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.