Getting started with saltwater.

Jun 27, 2016
Georgia
I'm in the beginning stages of setting up a a 16'x48" with the in wall skimmer. I've already got the adapter to run the Intex 2500 pump through the skimmer instead of the pump attached to the skimmer. The salt system is the summer waves unit from Walmart. I also have the rebranded Taylor from Leslie's pool. For salt testing all I have is Clorox stripes because the Leslie's didn't have any and this is all Walmart had.

My first question is, anything else I need besides salt?

Secondly, I read to test for salt in the water before filling to see where I'm at, only problem is the Clorox strips aren't coming up with anything. Bad test?

Is the pool water chemistry good with CYA, FC, etc?

You will need a FAS-DPD test kit. The DPD in that kit will be OK most of the time, but not all the time.

Test strips are just not that great. Might get by, but up to you.

Reactions: LFrankow
Is the pool water chemistry good with CYA, FC, etc?

You will need a FAS-DPD test kit. The DPD in that kit will be OK most of the time, but not all the time.

Test strips are just not that great. Might get by, but up to you.

I haven't tested anything yet, except playing with the salt test. The pool is still boxed up except the from, which I set up to help with leveling. That was done in a cup of water. What would you recommend to test salt levels? I'm kinda trying to get everything organized and no rain before I get it finished.

Taylor K1766 is the best kit to test salinity.

You will need CYA, liquid chlorine, possibly muriatic acid, and salt to start up.

With fresh water, yes. Just undershoot your salt add and sneak up on the level needed to make your SWCG happy.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Played with the test kit with plain tap water.
pH-7.5
TA- 140
CA- stayed purple
CYA-0
Free Chlorine-1.5

Hopefully I'll go out in awhile and start putting in the pavers. Think I'll pick up a tarp too, I don't want to risk getting dirt in the liner while putting it together. I guess they don't include tarps anymore.

Check your CH testing procedure. Be sure to use a 10 ml sample for that test. It should turn blue.
Do you have known hard water at your home?

Are you going to get a FAS-DPD test kit?

I'm not sure if the water is hard. The instructions calls for a 25ml sample. I tried 10 as you said and never got blue, just purple again. I do plan on getting another test kit, just been real busy lately and haven't had a chance.

Attachments

• IMG_20190627_192202323.jpg
    IMG_20190627_192202323.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 3
I call that red -----

Check your testing protocol, be sure you are using the right reagents.

Pretty sure I'm using the right stuff, but I'll double check and try again tomorrow. If I keep coming up with the same color I'll consider it red and move on to the next part. I just got done laying the pavers under the legs, that was fun. Thanks for all of your help so far.

Once again I tested and got the same color as above. I moved to the next step and added the next regiment. Only bad this is that it only took 4 drops to get blue.

Attachments

• IMG_20190628_141533659.jpg
    IMG_20190628_141533659.jpg
    356.7 KB · Views: 1

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.