eugchen

Feb 4, 2022
los angeles
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
so i just got the Poolmaster 5 way test kit and had a few questions on my results....

1. did test 1, the chlorine test. my color was around 1.0ppm, which means i need to add chlorine to get into the range of 2-3ppm. how much liquid chlorine do i need to add?

2. i did the bromine test and my color matched the 1.3ppm level. the instructions say 4.4ppm is normal. do i need to add bromine? how much?

3. ph test - ph came in around 7.8 or so. so i did the acid test and i needed around 2 drops to get the acid color more in range. according the to the chart for a 10k gallon pool, add 2 pints of acid, which i did.

4. total alkalinity - i dont get this test at all. it has me add solution 4, 5, then add 3 until color changes. changes to what? mine started out blue, and i added around 15 drops with no color change and quit. what color is is supposed to change to? then it says to multiply the number of drops by 10. lets say mine is 20. then 20X10 = 200. what does that tell me?pool chemical kit.jpg

You need to use a TFP recommended test kit. Your test kit does not have the proper chlorine test, nor can it test for CYA (chlorine stabilizer). The bromine test is only for bromine pool, an alternative sanitizer to chlorine. No need to run that test.

Go back and look at all the great advice provided in response to your thread in February.

Order the proper test kit and, while waiting, add enough liquid chlorine to raise FC by 3 ppm daily. For your pool, that would be about 46 oz of 12.5% liquid chlorine. Post results of your new test kit so forum members can provide you with solid advice.

Best wishes!

rancho you are very astute!!!! yes, i should have bought the tft100, but i was actually given the poolmaster kit, so i thought id just try that. thanks for the info on the chlorine and bromine.

what about the alkalinity measurement? what is that?

i will get the TFT100 soon. thanks again.

what about the alkalinity measurement? what is that?
I can tell you, but I would just be quoting info from the link below....read up. ;)

Regarding the TA test, follow the instructions and add the first two reagents. For titration (color-change) type tests, the color is not that important. You keep dropping until there is no further color change, then deduct the last drop (that didn't change the color). Multiply the number of drops for the result.

When performing tests, take your time with the dropper. Hold it vertically and squeeze just enough that the drops fall off the tip. You'll get more reliable and consistent results.

Use the PoolMath app to monitor test results, estimate dosage amounts of chemicals, and monitor CSI. I like the web-based Old PoolMath myself, but I'm in the minority there.

Reactions: Newdude
what color is is supposed to change to
If the indicator started out blue, then it should turn eventually over clear/greenish to yellow. Once it makes the transition to either clear or yellow, you reached the endpoint of the test. Sometimes you will see clear, sometimes it will jump straight to yellow.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.