Getting started in DFW - PB recommendations/design

jnh896

Aug 30, 2017
Frisco, TX
Hello TFP,

I've browsed through these forums and looks like there are many members from DFW here, particularly the northern suburbs. First time pool owners here hoping you can help get me unstuck. I'm already falling into paralysis by over analysis!

We have a blank slate of a backyard that is a decent size for a "cookie cutter" neighborhood. :) Privacy isn't really an issue and we have a 8 ft. fence already in place.

Backyard.jpg

The corner of the trampoline is where the patio will extend out to. We will be doing the patio work with a separate company than the PB.

The stakes that you see represent a 16 x 40 area for the pool. We have the space to go a little bigger, maybe 20x42 and still have side yard on the other end of the house you can't see in this picture.

We want to have a deep end - 8.5 or 9 feet.

We have had consultation with 5 PBs. (Prestige, Foley, Hauk, Riverbend Sandler, and Gold Medal) We know people who have built pools with each of them.
We have seen designs from 4, see the 5th tomorrow. Pricing is fairly consistent. I don't feel like I know the technical/equipment requirements well enough yet to compare "apples to apples". But we have a good ballpark of what this project is going to cost.

Oddly enough, all the PBs all seem less than enthused or experienced with "diving" pools since the sport pools/play pools are more common in the neighborhoods here. All have said "this is a big pool" in hesitant and unsure tone. But from reading these forums and talking to neighbors with pools, it seems like no one has ever said "I wish we had gotten a smaller pool."

My main concern is - I'm not wowed by the designs from any of them yet. We asked for a geometric pool in the consultation and they gave us what we asked for. But now seeing it in renderings, it just looks like a big box. I'm having flashbacks to my childhood rec center pool from the 70's (just need to add the swim lane markers, high dive, and toilet bowl blue water)

So I think we should add curves somehow, but not have a completely free form pool. We will not be doing a rock wall or grotto type feature.

My questions are:
How many design revisions are reasonable to ask for? Of the 5 PBs so far, I could eliminate 2 and I wouldn't want to string them along.

And I think we need to expand our PB search beyond who our neighbors have used. So I'm asking TFP members in DFW for more recommendations. (particularly for PBs who service the Plano/Frisco/Prosper/McKinney area)

Just not feeling like we've found "the one" yet. Help?????

Thank you!

You've hit the usual suspects. Sorry to hear that none of them wowed you. Post some of the renderings and I know folks here will be more than happy to give you their opinions.

Also, if a PB wants your business, they should be more than willing to start over/modify a design.

jhn,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all far north Dallas pool newbies.... :drown:

Sounds to me like you have things under control...

My only suggestion is that you don't let your pool builder talk you into any "magic"... Things like UV, Ozone, and Mineral systems are all magic, but there is no rabbit in the hat. These systems just transfer money from your pocket and put it in the PB's pocket... and, unfortunately, do nothing to help sanitize your pool..

How do you plan to chlorinate your pool?

I would go back to the designer as many times as you need to get the pool you want.

I have a small rectangular pool and our designer added curves in the corners which break up the boxy shape...

dbtgallery.php

Looking forward to your pool build,

Jim R.

I live in Northlake which is just south of Denton and I would highly recommend my PB who lives out in my area. Small company but did a great job, was fast and the price was excellent...send me a message if interested for more details and you can click on my link in my signature below for lots of pics...

Hi Jim,

Can't help you with PB, but we are also putting in a large rectangular pool - 16 by 48, with an interior spa, and 8.5 ft deep end. We also got a lot of comments like "that is really big", and "8.5 feet is really deep", and "don't you want the deep part in the middle?". We did consider the "sport pool" design for a while, but kids really want a diving board. Big advantages to us for rectangle were that we can use an auto cover (easily), maximize the usable space in the pool, and aesthetically I really liked the clean lines. If you haven't already, suggest doing an online search for rectangular pools and looking at the images. There are some beautiful designs out there! Here is a 2D layout of our plans, and a pic of current site - steel goes in tomorrow. Good luck, and keep us updated of your plans!

Attachments

• Pool Layouts.jpg
    Pool Layouts.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 127
  • 20170911_104313_resized.jpg
    20170911_104313_resized.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 123
I live in Northlake which is just south of Denton and I would highly recommend my PB who lives out in my area. Small company but did a great job, was fast and the price was excellent...send me a message if interested for more details and you can click on my link in my signature below for lots of pics...

ctrav - Just read your thread. (I will admit to skimming once the water chemistry part started. I'm not ready for that yet!) Love your design and material choices. I can't believe how "light" your water looks with the black onyx finish. Would definitely love to know your PB. We are as close to Denton as we are to parts of McKinney or Plano, so I think a PB from that area would work in this area. I will PM you.

Thank you!!!

jhn,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all far north Dallas pool newbies.... :drown:

Sounds to me like you have things under control...

My only suggestion is that you don't let your pool builder talk you into any "magic"... Things like UV, Ozone, and Mineral systems are all magic, but there is no rabbit in the hat. These systems just transfer money from your pocket and put it in the PB's pocket... and, unfortunately, do nothing to help sanitize your pool..

How do you plan to chlorinate your pool?

I would go back to the designer as many times as you need to get the pool you want.

I have a small rectangular pool and our designer added curves in the corners which break up the boxy shape...

dbtgallery.php

Looking forward to your pool build,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim! I do like the curves in the corners on your pool. Was also thinking about doing a similar type of "jumping platform" in lieu of diving board.

Is your coping leuders or cast stone?

We want SWG. (And we know what DFW pool builders say about SWG!)

Noted on the magic minerals and ozone/UV.

Hi Jim,

Can't help you with PB, but we are also putting in a large rectangular pool - 16 by 48, with an interior spa, and 8.5 ft deep end. We also got a lot of comments like "that is really big", and "8.5 feet is really deep", and "don't you want the deep part in the middle?". We did consider the "sport pool" design for a while, but kids really want a diving board. Big advantages to us for rectangle were that we can use an auto cover (easily), maximize the usable space in the pool, and aesthetically I really liked the clean lines. If you haven't already, suggest doing an online search for rectangular pools and looking at the images. There are some beautiful designs out there! Here is a 2D layout of our plans, and a pic of current site - steel goes in tomorrow. Good luck, and keep us updated of your plans!

Hi Michele17,

Thanks! Good point about the auto cover, definitely something to consider.

Question - is it 48' total (including the spa and steps) or is the swimmable space 48' and the spa is additional.

And I really want wood decking too (at least somewhere in the plan) but again, that doesn't seem to be common in DFW.

The excavation site looks just about right to me - not to big, not too small.

Thank you!

Hi Shuck Water,

Thanks! I've read your build thread too. Lots of great resources here.

You know how crazy the entire construction market is here in DFW. I'm amazed at how many people have stories about not getting return phone calls or design plans after a consultation. Much less the actual construction horror stories.

Is your coping leuders or cast stone?

The coping is some type of manmade product, so I assume cast stone...

I have a saltwater pool... I will never, ever, have a non-saltwater pool again..

My wife and I love it. Makes maintenance so much easier.

The key to a saltwater pool is having a big enough salt cell. We recommend a cell that is at least 2 x the volume of your pool. Since your pool will be about 30K gallons, then you will need the largest residential cell they make which is a 60K model.. The smaller the cell the longer you have to run your pump. This is not an issue if you get a variable speed pump because they cost next to nothing to run, but will be an issue if you get a single speed pump. The reason for the increase in cell size is because cells are rated when running at 100% output and 24/7.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A geometric doesn't have to be a rectangle. Here's one I have coming up that the homeowners requested a simple rectangle with a square spa...I'm pretty sure they saw I was less than enthused so they suggested I put my spin on it:

LOUNSBURY.jpg

I experience these situations from the other side of the table so the more input you can provide on your wants, wishes, and aesthetics, the better. These renderings take a lot of time put together so if you're not getting what you are expecting then you may not be giving enough information on what you really want.

Best of luck with your big decision!

A geometric doesn't have to be a rectangle. Here's one I have coming up that the homeowners requested a simple rectangle with a square spa...I'm pretty sure they saw I was less than enthused so they suggested I put my spin on it:

View attachment 69024

I experience these situations from the other side of the table so the more input you can provide on your wants, wishes, and aesthetics, the better. These renderings take a lot of time put together so if you're not getting what you are expecting then you may not be giving enough information on what you really want.

Best of luck with your big decision!

Beautiful design! I did say "wow" when I saw this one. Thank you!

And yes, I have considered that perhaps the communication issue lies with us and that's why I'm pausing to regroup and get advice from the collective wisdom here at TFP.

Although I did express in each consultation that we wanted a checkerboard paver pattern for decking. Only one actually put it in the design.
And that we didn't want a tropical feel. And every single design had palm trees in the landscaping. (No offense to palm trees or palm tree lovers)
And that we didn't want a raised wall to run along the entire back side of the pool. And every single design had the feature wall across the entire length of the pool. :hammer:

Hey jnh896,

Our 48 ft length includes the interior spa. We were originally planning on 16 x 40, but husband wanted to be able to swim decent laps, so we extended by eight feet so the swim lane is 40 ft.
We are also going with SWG. Not sure "what the DFW pool builders say about SWG", but our PB tried to talk us out of it due to very hard water in our area. We are going to have our fill water conditioned (cycled through a mobile RO unit specifically for pool water reconditioning).
Sounds like our goals are similar - hopefully we can help each other out through the process! Hard lesson I have already learned over the past 7 days: Get exactly what you want on paper (i.e., in a contract AND on plans that will actually be shared with the subs....) before ANYTHING starts.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh my goodness bdavis466 that is absolutely gorgeous. Maybe our kids don't really need to go to college after all ...... :p

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.