Getting started in Coppell, TX (DFW)

GingerJay

Gold Supporter
Jul 24, 2016
DFW, TX
I cannot state how helpful this forum has been. I am a member of numerous online forums and this one is by far the most friendly and most helpful.

We talked to multiple pool builders across DFW ranging from the big boys to the mom and pops. Narrowed it down to a handful of PB's that actually came out to the house and did a walk through consultation. Narrowed down the PB list and should have all final designs and proposals by tomorrow that I will share.

Wanted to share a few "before" pictures. Our backyard is tiered with a creek at the bottom. The pool will be in the top tier.

cJfiyQv.jpg

Different angle. Play set is coming down this weekend.
n7mb4lP.jpg

Here are a couple of pictures looking toward the west. We do not have a fence but I do not think privacy will be a concern with the foliage. My neighbors across the creek have a pool and I cannot really see them.

2BQLSQu.jpg

LjqKkSm.jpg

Thank you for becoming a GOLD TFP Supporter! We're glad TFP has helped you and thankful you helped us! Others will be along to join in the fun after you post your options for sure! This will be a fun one with that amazing property! Kudos to you all for getting it that beautiful! For now, here is the famous pool build list:
Here is a rough draft of a list of things to ask or know about. It's more for before you choose a PB (which I see you already have), but I think there will still be some good tips to help you.

Kimkats: Quite a few PB’s don't know the actually workings for a pool and the build. They depend on the subs doing the work to know what needs to be done. Saying that, some do know the ins and outs. So long as they don't lie to you things will go good. kimkats

Gwegan: Always get bids from at least two builders, three bids is better. Try to get them to bid on roughly the same thing. I paid for a conceptual drawing and got bids off of that. Pool builders want to have use their design and choices so it is difficult to compare bids.
Prepare before the First Meeting
1. Have ready to give the PB or salesperson a copy of your property map which includes easements, etc.
2. Avoid
--- ‘package deals’ unless you have flexibility
--- Mineral system
--- fusion system
--- UV system
--- Ozone system
3. If you’ve been reading on TFP before you begin meeting with PB’s, know what you want. You can also skip some of the items below if you want to give the pool designer more freedom to create.
--- free form, rectangle, L-shape
--- approximate length and width
--- approximate depths
--- spa (raised or not; hidden or infinity), sunshelf, steps, benches, beach entry
--- how to plumb the spa; do you need blowers or not
--- water features: bubblers, sheer descents, scuppers, water and/or fire bowls, grotto, rock water wall, slide, jump rock, diving board, deck jets
? --- type of automation: PDA, through computer and cell phone
--- how to control the water features: each able to come on/off separately, grouped together, etc
--- method of chlorination: chlorine or a swg
--- type of pump: two speed, variable speed
--- heater, heat pump, or solar
--- type of filter: cartridge, sand, DE
?--- type of lighting: color shows, nicheless, standard?, white, small ones for small areas
? --- type of pool cleaner: robot, in floor system, side suction, ??? suction
--- do you want an overflow and an autofill
--- Do you want a cover for your pool?
--- Decking? Does the PB do this? Materials: concrete (brushed, stained, pea gravel, stamped, dyed, salt brushed?), pavers (flagstone, concrete, travertine, techo blocks, bluestone, etc), cool deck
--- pool finish: plaster, colored plaster, quartz, martzite?, pebble, AquaBright,

About the company
1. Years in business?
2. Who is the owner if not you?
3. Number of employees?
4. What services are provided directly by your company crews?
which will be sub'd out?
-. How long have the crews or subs worked for them?
5. Are you in the process of selling the business or transitioning any key responsibilities to someone else?
6. Average pools built in a year?
7. Any lawsuits in the last 5 years? (the PB or the company)
8. How many other jobs do you typically run at one time? At this time?
9. Please send list of references. Can we see their pools in person?
10. Run us through your process/steps during this interview stage and the build stages.

About the Pool Builder
1. How did you get into pool building?
2. Do you have direct personal experience with any parts of the build? (ie, you were first a plumber, an electrician, you built pools with your dad, etc)

Company Services
1. Do you handle landscaping, or do you have a landscaper you like to work with or recommend?
2. What Hardscape/Site Improvements are included as part of the core bid? (ie grading, drainage, etc…)
3. What brand of equipment do you use?
4. What type of water sanitization do you use? (chlorine or salt water generator)
5. What are the rebar standards you use?
6. What types of finishes do you offer? Which brands? (ie, PebbleTec, WetEdge, etc)

Responsibilities during Construction
1. If wider access is needed through the fence/gate, will you provide temporary fencing?
2. Will you repair/replace the fence if necessary to its original condition?
3. Will you repair/replace any broken concrete on sidewalks or driveways that result from construction traffic?
4. Will you repair/replace damaged lawn from construction traffic or other construction mishaps?
5. Will you repair/replace broken irrigation outside of the dig zone such as the(path leading to jobsite?
6. Will you repair/replace any broken or damaged existing incidentals on the property? (such as windows, gutters, tile, lighting, plumbing, electrical fixtures, etc)
7. Will you arrange for all utility marking?
8. Who is responsible for the repair costs of any cut or broken service lines (Cable/Phone/Gas/Power)?

Company Policies, Guarantees, Warranties
1. What kind of payment schedule will you be requesting? Make sure the payment schedule is back loaded. If you have to pay anything up it should be small. At least 10% should be payable five days after final inspection and completion of the punch list.

3. Are there any situations where you will be asking for earlier payment than what is agreed upon up front? I wouldn’t ask this, I wouldn’t want to open that door.
4. What guaranties and warranties do you provide and for how long? Get these in writing.
-- from the PB company
-- from the crews
-- from gunite/shotcrete of the pool shell, finish company, etc
-- any others
5. What are the warranties on equipment? Is there a benefit buying all one brand?

Plans, Bids/Proposals, Contract
1. Who will be doing the plans/drawings?
2. Do you have any soil concerns are there for our area, and is there anything you do to address it? (ie, high water table, bedrock, expansive clay, etc)
-. Does our area need to have the pool engineered?
3. When will we receive the plan? How do we make changes – phone, meeting, etc?
4. How many plan/drawing revisions do we get? I wouldn’t ask this. I might want more than he sets.
5. Can you provide a 3D render? Cost? I wouldn’t ask this.
6. Will you itemize your bid? Tell him you want/expect an itemized bid.
7. Ask for model numbers on all equipment listed on the bid.
8. Can you provide a sample contract with your bid submittal? I don’t get this? Mine was one and the same. My PB just sent me updates to it.
9. How do you handle change orders? Will you commit in the contract to following an in-writing change order process? I’m not sure what this is. This seems to be getting pretty legal - maybe necessary in some places. I would make sure I requested any changes via email or in writing, so you have the requests documented.
10. Will you add contract deadline with a penalty for missing it? I haven’t heard of this for residential pools.

Applications, Permits, Inspections
1. Are you familiar with our specific sub-division HOA rules and approval process?
2. Who will make the application to the HOA?
3. Do you pull all required Building Permits?
4. Will you or someone else be present for all inspections? If not, what do I need to know about the inspection process?

Licensing, Accreditation, Insurance, Safeguards for the Client **Be sure to verify these yourself
1. Are you a member of any professional pool builder organizations?
2. What is your BBB Rating? Any recent complaints? Have they been resolved?
3. How is your Credit and/or Dunn & Bradstreet rating?
4. Will you provide written Lien Releases for yourself and all sub's prior to final payment? Does this need to come much sooner?
5. Will you include a subcontractor/vendor Proof of Payment clause in the contract?
Ask the salesman or PB to provide proof for the following:
6. Do you have a current and valid Contracting License?
7. Do you carry general liability insurance? How much?
8. Do you carry workers’ compensation insurance?
9. How are your subs insured?

Project Manager’s Duties
1. Who will be in charge of the job?
2. How often will he be on-site? Is there a backup?
3. Will he be on-site to meet every sub the very first time the subs show up? This often does not happen.
4. Will he do an on-site review at completion of work with each sub crew? This often does not happen.

About the Workers/Crews
1. Will you let us review your sub-contractor selection? Ask this only if you have knowledge of the sub-contractors in your area.
2. If I have a particular vendor or sub I want used for a specific job like gunite or surface finish, how is that handled? You can request a sub, and the PB may even say ‘yes’, but who actually shows up at the last minute may be a different story.
3. Do you provide a port-a-john during construction? Do people really ask this?
4. Will the crews protect the house, windows, and patio from all concrete/plaster overspray with plastic sheeting or tarps?
5. How often will the crews clean-up debris? Varies widely from 2-3 times during the build.
6. Will you guarantee that the front yard is always free of trash and debris at the end of the day? This rarely happens on a daily basis. Ask the PB if you have a HOA which is extremely picky.
7. Will you do a thorough clean-up at the end of the job, including a magnetic sweep for nails, etc?
8. What hours will the workers usually be on-site? Any weekends?

After the Drawing and Bid are Submitted
-. Is there any part of the job that you are un-sure of or have reservations about?
-. Is there anything jumping out at you which we could change or do differently as a money saver?
-. How many skimmers and where?
-. How will the skimmers be plumbed?
-. Drain set up? Round, rectangle
-. How will the drains be plumbed?
-. How many returns and where?
-. How many lights and where? What kind?
-. How deep for the sun shelf?
-. What size for the equipment pad?
-. The spa
--- how many jets
--- position of the jets
--- heights of the benches (measure bodies of people using it)
--- standard or deep well
--- speeds of the jets (slow, medium, turbulent)

This pool build reminds me of our yard- we needed to terrace it but didn't know how or what to do. Until we decided on a pool and the PB figured out a terrace for his portion of the yard. Still needs some more work but....everything is a work in progress, y'know?IMG_0610.jpgIMG_0527.jpg
So from the pics you can see the deck is house level, the pool is further down and the other pic shows the yard from bottom creek area upwards. You can't even tell there is a pool there! We need to do more with the land but the surrounding trees change the sun yearly so we never know where a good spot to garden will be...it keeps moving! There are other pics of my sloping yard in siggy below.

Glad to follow along with your build. Exciting times ahead!

Maddie :flower:

Attachments

• 19P7050024 copy.jpg
    19P7050024 copy.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 223
What a pretty yard you have! LOVE the creek area!

I can't wait to see the pool design!

Make sure to get a detailed list on the equipment down to model numbers so we can pick it apart and make sure it is good enough for your pool.

Kim:kim:

Thank you for becoming a GOLD TFP Supporter! We're glad TFP has helped you and thankful you helped us! Others will be along to join in the fun after you post your options for sure! This will be a fun one with that amazing property! Kudos to you all for getting it that beautiful! For now, here is the famous pool build list:

Thank you very much for the info! I see I have a lot of work to do.

This pool build reminds me of our yard- we needed to terrace it but didn't know how or what to do.

Maddie :flower:

Beautiful yard and pool Maddie! I love how you kept the natural look of your backyard. That is our goal as well.

What a pretty yard you have! LOVE the creek area!

I can't wait to see the pool design!

Make sure to get a detailed list on the equipment down to model numbers so we can pick it apart and make sure it is good enough for your pool.

Kim

I am on it Kim. I noticed on the bids coming in there is not a lot of detail. I will go ahead and post them today and ask for more detail.

PB#1. Mid-sized company that was referred by TFP member. Really good feedback from prior builds.

• 31' x 24' free form IG gunite. 520 sq ft pool
  • 7' round spa with rolled neck 1"x1" mosaic tiles raised 18" with cascading stone spillway. 38 sq ft for spa.
  • 5 ton grotto and 33' weeping wall with water features
  • 16,770 gallons
  • 835 sq ft concrete pavers decking
  • Oklahoma Stone Coping | Quartz Standard Plaster | Standard tile waterline
  • 6 returns, 2 skimmers
  • Tanning ledge with two bubblers
  • One pool LED and one spa LED
  • 2.0HP Variable Speed Pump (No model listed)
  • Cartridge filter (No model listed)
  • Jandy PCL1400 SWCG
  • Jandy 400k BTU Heater
  • PDA-PS6 controller | iAqualink
  • Polaris 9550 Robot Cleaner
  • Proposal: $96,000 (way over my budget)
uSmO4Up.png

uA1qmFb.png

3HqpnRw.png

PB#2. Large company that was referred by several TFP member. Really good feedback as well.

• 39' x 18' free form IG gunite. 525 sq ft pool
  • 7' round spa with rolled neck 1"x1" mosaic tiles raised 18" with cascading stone spillway. 38 sq ft for spa.
  • 31' weeping wall with water features
  • 17,021 gallons
  • 665 sq ft textured concrete decking
  • Oklahoma Stone Coping | Pebble Sheen Plaster | Standard tile waterline
  • 5 returns, 2 skimmers
  • Tanning ledge with two bubblers
  • Jandy Nicheless LED (2 x pool, 2 x tanning ledge, 1 x spa)
  • Jandy 2.0HP Variable Speed Pump
  • Jandy 580 Cartridge filter
  • Jandy PCL1400 SWCG
  • POWERClean Ultra In-line Chlorinator
  • Jandy JXi400 BTU Heater
  • PDA-PS8 controller | iAqualink
  • Polaris 9550 Robot Cleaner
  • Proposal: $74,000
KJ5ITR4.jpg

S01PiPn.jpg

cztl5qL.jpg

Those are both pretty in the drawings! Make sure to talk to PB #1 about the price if you like them and their design enough to revisit them. There might be some wiggle room or they could change this or that to bring the price down.

On both of them I notice the number of returns. Ask if they are all for the pool or if those count for the spa also. I don't think they will BUT get it in writing!

You are off to a great start! You know what to dial in and where to go now. Thanks for letting us come along for the ride!

Not that my opinion counts but I like the second design better. I really like that decking that is stepped up on the opposite side of the pool. Both designs are very nice though so i dont think you could go wrong with either.

Plus lets be honest, Pool #2 is bigger, you are in Texas, bigger is always better :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
One other thing... PB1 has a grotto and weeping wall, but it looks like PB2 only has the weeping wall, but no grotto. Not sure how much of a cost difference that would be though.

You're right Kimber. I asked PB2 and they stated a grotto would be additional $5k-$6k.

PB1 didn't itemize it so I emailed them asking how much the grotto was and how much the proposal would be without it.

Do you like the design of PB1 more? If so, take the design/photos to PB2 and have them price it.

Both are nice designs but I like how PB2's design drops with the natural drop of my backyard.

With PB1 design if I was in the lower part of my yard looking back at my house I would see a bunch of rock sticking up. PB2 design is lower and will help mitigate this.

I also like the "fingertip" ledge PB2 incorporated alongside one wall. This is will help little kids monkey across it if they are not 5' tall yet.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.