West Palm Beach/Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Pool is warming up, so time to get serious. Did a full set of tests and CYA is showing low. Passed an OCLT but barely at 1ppm loss overnight. Did a quick rinse of my Florida undersized filter. So I am thinking short 24 hour SLAM just to make sure all cooties are gone. Tested for phosphates and have a small 50pbb. After the SLAM will put 2oz of SeaKlear into the skimmer to try to get that to 0. Then going to bump the CYA up to 70 or 80. Wait a few days do a TSP soak on the the filter for a deep clean. Going to order boric acid as well and get that up to 50.

Any critiques? Order of things sound good?

50pbb of phosphate is minimal. I would not bother trying to get it to 0.

Otherwise sounds like a good plan.

Reactions: setsailsoon
I already bought the SeaKlear so I figured I might as well use it. Dropped in about 3oz (wanted to do 2 but overshot a little). The pool clouded up a little which I expected but it is still always a bit of a surprise once you become used to TFP water. Going out of town for a couple of days and will see what it looks like when I get back.

So my TA has been stuck at 70 for a very long time now. I try to drop it to 60 but it just seems to like being at 70. The pH has been stable so I have not been concerned. But since I plan on adding borates do I need to figure out how to get it down or just leave it as is?

If your TA is stable at 70 then leave it there.

Kato,

Just curious, why are you adding borates? I added to help with pH control but sounds like yours is stable. I've read about a lot of other less tangible benefits but I really didn't experience any of them. Our salt conversion made a tangible difference in the feel of the water, eye comfort and even my wife's skin comfort. Borates didn't make them any better but it definitely helped with pH control.

Chris

So my pH is more stable than it was more than a year ago when my TA was 110. However, I still have to add acid once or twice a week. I would like it to be even more stable. I too am also interested in some of the intangible benefits as well. As the title of my thread indicates I want to take my pool to the next level. I have been following TFP methods for more than a year and want to see what more I can do. However, if I just get a little more pH stability I will be happy.

Well the SeaKlear works. Tested phosphates this morning and came it at 0. Boric acid has been ordered and should arrive today.

I will spend the weekend to try push the TA down to 60 before I add the borates. If I can get it there great, if not then 70 it is.

Also going to deep clean the filter this weekend since the SeaKlear bumped up the pressure a little.

Well, I finally managed to push my TA down to 60. Checked it twice today. Will wait for my pH to drift back up to 7.8 then start adding the Boric acid granules.

Boric Acid in. Tested with a strip looks like I am almost at 50ppm. It might be a placebo effect but the pool looks clearer and more sparkley.

Also took the time to upgrade the test kit. Got a sample sizer and an individual tube for each test.

Attachments

• BAEA2AA9-D506-439E-A281-FD24D3787C76.jpeg
    BAEA2AA9-D506-439E-A281-FD24D3787C76.jpeg
    280.6 KB · Views: 10

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.