Getting ready for new pool

Mar 31, 2018
Phoenix/AZ
Hello, we are in the process of building our first pool and we are two weeks out from completion. I don't really want to drop $100 a month on weekly service but this seems like a bit of a learning curve. My initial concern/question is about the initial fill and what I should be doing from a chemical standpoint. I have been reading a bit through the site and there is obviously a wealth of knowledge on this site. What and how much should I be preparing for to get the pool swim ready during the initial fill.

thanks in advanced

Hello and welcome to the forum! :wave: Without question, your first step should be to order the "proper" test kit. Not the things you get at the local store or when closing on your pool. They won't do it. We recommend either a TF-100 (link below) or Taylor K-2006C. Either of those two will give you all the results and accuracy you need. I like the TF-100 with magnetic speedstir for mixing. A great tool for any pool owner.

Besides the test kit, read and bookmark the vital links below in my signature. If you start there, you'll be well on your way to a great swimming season.

Lastly, your pool installer will do a "start-up" on your new pool and the plaster. They will tell you a bunch of things you will probably forget the next day because it's so overwhelming. But read the TFP Pool School - Start-up New Plaster well in advance so you can relate and compare what they say to our experiences. It should help.

Welcome to TFP, very exciting getting a new pool and very overwhelming at first in taking care of it. Follow Texas instructions and we will help you get thru this. I wish I found this site when I had our first pool. Congrats:cheers:

Thanks for the replays. I had previously read through the Pool School it's a and they were a helpful start. I did not go though a traditional pool company for my build, it was more of a DIY hybrid approach. That said, I do have a guy doing the start up, I'll ask him what info he has on chemical needs for the startup. I was more asking around quantities I should have on hand for the startup. I have a contact in the build industry that can get me Chems at cost,I just was not sure how much to have him get me of each to get me going.

Thanks for for the replays and I will continue to browse for info.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.