Getting Ready for a good old fashioned SLAM

Mid-day reading was FC=11ppm. Added 1 quart 8.25% bleach per pool math to get it back up over 15. 12 is my SLAM level, but I've been losing quite a bit of FC during the day, so I have been aiming a little high.

Will post my evenning #'s when I get home.

So I got home a little late yesterday. Went to a couple of different hardware stores trying to find DE to add to my sand filter. I found DE Filter AID at a local Ace Hardware store. Is this the same thing as DE? Not sure if this is just some kid of additive or what. Kind of nervous about adding it to my filter.

Anyway,
FC was at 10.5 at 7:00PM. Vacuumed and added anough bleach to raise it to 15 and got tired and went to bed without testing. Checked this morning and it was at 14! So that's the first time I was able to stay above SLAM level over night. Add Bleach to get back to 15 and will check again mid-day.

The water looks a liitle bluer, but is still cloudy.

I did some looking around and found this info. on the Home Depot site. Here is the link to their questions and answers. I did copy the important answer from hth to one of the questions.

HTH 25 lb. DE Filter Aid-61306 - The Home Depot

"The HTH Filter Aid product is diatomaceous earth and is used by itself in D.E. filters to coat the filter grids and is replaced each time the filter is backwashed."

It looks like it is just de but for some reason they call it an "aid" for the de filter. I am not sure why. I would use it.

Kim

Thanks again Kim. The HTH Fitler Aid is exactly what I got, but a 10lbs box. I think my sand may be a little low, so as soon as I can get my hands on some (none here local, at least the kind I like) I will add some to the filter and hopefully sparkle that water on up. :swim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
:laughblue::laughblue: funny!

Use the bleach chart, since you're using bleach.

Is the pool a gooey green or black mess? If so, we want pictures! Daily updates. Vicarious thrills.

attachment.php

SLAM is going good. Being home this weekend I've been able to keep the FC at or above my shock level most of the time. I rechecked my CYA and got 20. Checked it twice. So I added 7oz of CYA in a sock in front of the return to get back to 30. FC at at 13.5 as of 10 am. Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Good morning TFP. So last night I passed the OCLT. FC was 15 last night at 9:30pm and 14.5 this morning at 5:00am. CC was .5.
I'm going to test again tonight to make sure I pass those 2 objectives.
Now for the third. My water is still cloudy which was the reason I started the SLAM in the first place. I think maybe I don't have enough sand in my filter. Hoping to check and resolve that today or tomorrow. Then I'm going to add some DE to the filter to see if I clear this up.
IF this doesn't work, what else should I be looking into to clear the cloudiness?

DE in filter and maybe a skimmer sock to extra filtering.

Here is the link to adding DE to a sand filter.

Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter

It will take some babysitting as you find how much is just right for your filter. Watch the pressure close.

Kim

Thanks Kim. I'll try it and let you know how it works. I am excited about the OCLT. We'll see if it holds true for a second night.

Big FC loss during the day today. Of course today was full sun and a record high. 99 in Charlotte. Very hot for early June. At 1:00 pm it was at 12 so I boosted up to 15. By 5:45 pm it was down to 8. Bumped it back to 15 and gonna check it again before bed then check in the morning. Still cloudy, but definitely looking more blue than green.

You say blue and do not show us a pic! LOL

Kim

This pic was from yesterday:
Critter.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Last night 10:00pm FC=14 CC=1
This morning 5:00AM FC=14 CC=.5
Water still cloudy.
Still haven't addressed my sand issue or added DE. Waiting for my sand to come in. I need #20 Silica sand and have only been able to find it at one place. They were out, so I ordered it to ship to the store for pick up. I'm hoping once I add some sand and a little DE to the filter I can clear up this cloudiness and end the SLAM. Today is the 9th day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.