Getting new liner as I type, opening tomorrow. Chemicals from scratch?

flarfum25

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 9, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Hi all, nice to be back and ready to start off summer (ish) right!

The guys are replacing our liner now and new water is being delivered in a few hours so husband will be opening later today or tomorrow. Sorry if this info can be found somewhere here as I don't know where to look but what exactly do I need to put in, to start from scratch?

Obviously there's no CYA in there yet... what's the best method? Still the old sock-in-skimmer trick? Same with baking soda/borax... just test like always and see what it needs? I have the TFS10. Bleach first? Anything I'm not thinking of?

Thanks in advance! Want to make sure I'm not missing something important. Every summer I have to recharge my memory but this time it's a whole new ballgame : )
-Nicole

Reactions: splashpad
The guys are replacing our liner now and new water is being delivered in a few hours so husband will be opening later today or tomorrow. Sorry if this info can be found somewhere here as I don't know where to look but what exactly do I need to put in, to start from scratch?
See the links in my siggy :D (Recommended Levels - Trouble Free Pool )

Obviously there's no CYA in there yet... what's the best method? Still the old sock-in-skimmer trick? Same with baking soda/borax... just test like always and see what it needs? I have the TFS10. Bleach first? Anything I'm not thinking of?
  1. Test water first!
  2. All things being equal (my suggestion)
    1. Address PH
      1. Low? Raise with aeration is possible, otherwise washing soda
      2. High? Measured Muraitic acid in front of return, wait 15-30min before retesting & adding anything else
    2. Address FC
    3. Start CYA addition by adding half the amount in a sock hanging in front of running return, squeeze until dissolved (it won't show in test for 24-48hrs)
    4. Don't add calcium, heehee :D
  3. Enjoy that new liner this summer!
Thanks in advance! Want to make sure I'm not missing something important. Every summer I have to recharge my memory but this time it's a whole new ballgame : )
Same here! Glad to have you back!

Reactions: flarfum25
Yay! A fresh new liner and water!!

I'd say get a baseline test reading on your fill water. Then you'll start by adding 30ppm CYA to some hosiery (socks or stocking legs) and let them start dissolving in the skimmer (make sure they're not blocking the entire basket) and add the appropriate amount of liquid chlorine to get you to 5ppm.

This is the basic start.... you then will test your water for pH, TA, CH. Adjust as necessary using PoolMath to guide your amounts.

Don't rush the borates until your pool is very stable in pH. After adding borates making changes takes a lot more effort. So just don't rush that.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: flarfum25
See the links in my siggy :D (Recommended Levels - Trouble Free Pool )

1. Test water first!
  2. All things being equal (my suggestion)
    1. Address PH
      1. Low? Raise with aeration is possible, otherwise washing soda
      2. High? Measured Muraitic acid in front of return, wait 15-30min before retesting & adding anything else
    2. Address FC
    3. Start CYA addition by adding half the amount in a sock hanging in front of running return, squeeze until dissolved (it won't show in test for 24-48hrs)
    4. Don't add calcium, heehee :D
  3. Enjoy that new liner this summer!
Same here! Glad to have you back!
Thank you!!!

Reactions: splashpad
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.