Getting my Chlorine under control

Cainel

Bronze Supporter
Oct 8, 2018
Plano, TX
Hello and thanks for this website. Trying to get my pool in control in general and this is helping a lot. I just received my new bad boy test kit in the mail yesterday and tested today:

FC - 0 !!!
pH - 8.0
TA - 130
CH - 180
CYA - 42
CSI - .14

I went and bought some Bleach and added 1gal of 6% Clorox to the pool. While waiting for my next test I found the SLAM instructions on here and am now wondering if I should SLAM the pool instead? if not was going to add some muriatic acid and go to HD to find some Calcium Chloride. Just want to make sure I'm on the right track...

Thanks for any advice-
EC

How did you get a CYA of 42? Considering you have no chlorine, a SLAM is in order. I would lower the PH to 7.2. You will need a few more bottles of bleach. I would bring up to SLAM for at least 2 days and if the pool is clear, then allow your levels to drift at around the 10 ppm mark or slightly lower, then perform the overnight test. Also, increase your CH as you have a Gunite pool.

Got all the readings using my new fancy test kit. Admittedly though, I am new to this, so I'm sure I messed it up. And I was all happy because it was in normal range.....but I digress.

I'll go ahead then and add 28oz of muriatic acid to bring the pH down (got that from Pool math) and ill start on the SLAM. Should I wait until I'm done SLAMming the pool to add any Calcium Chloride, or does it matter?

PS. I just retested the chlorine level after adding that gallon of Bleach and it's now at 0.8. Does that change your suggestions at all?

Thanks again

Gotcha. will start as soon as the pH is right. I'm going off the Chlorine/CYA Chart and not sure if I'm reading correctly. Since my CYA was 42, it says Shock FC level is 16. Does that mean I just add bleach until it tests out at 16? How much do I add?

Your CYA is either 40 or 50. For now, use 50. Your bleach is 6% or greater. Then use Pool Math PoolMath to determine how much bleach you need to add. Plug in 6% after entering the size of your pool, and you will know what the amount need from 0 to 18 is (enter 0 & 18) as Now & Target.

You will have to test often in the first day or so and only add enough to get you back to 16, or 18 if you are working with a CYA of 50. Follow the SLAM to a T and do not veer off course. If you find that in the first day, you are not losing that much chlorine, then you can cut back on testing. I would test the first day about one hour later just to make sure you are holding chlorine and then every 4 to 6 hours. You may have to test more often and add more frequently depending on how you test the first hour. Take your time with the testing as well.

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.