Getting both "High Salt/Amps" and "Very Low Salt"

Aug 4, 2022
Fort Myers FL
Equipment:
Hayward G1-011049F-1 F GLC 13210 with GLX-CELL-15-W Turbo Cell

History:
After a brief power outage during a storm I noticed the pool didn't turn on when it was supposed to so checked and the panel said something like "Communication Error call 1-800-...."
1) Turned off and back on all breakers, main panel came up but did not know the time.
2) Set the time, all other settings (timers, valves, etc) seemed to be saved. Turned system on, everything seemed to work.
3) Switched to Spa mode and everything worked as expected but then the "High Salt/Amps" alarm came on.
4) Performed the usual reset of the Cell and the Average Salt Reading multiple times, made sure it was set to T-Cell-15 (it was). Noticed that the Diagnostic readout said 40.58V and 10.08A and research says normal should be lower than that.
5) After more research, pulled the main board to look for signs of burnt solder joints. Board looks pristine, no signs of anything wrong on both sides including K1 relay. (see images)
6) After more research, pulled and cleaned the Cell. No change.
7) Went to the pool store, they tested the Cell. It passed. Bought a new one (TCELL940SWP) anyway since mine was over 8 years old. Took it home, installed, still get "High Salt/Amps" (it also says "Very Low Salt") and still reads 40.58V and 10.08A.
8) I'm fairly certain that the Salt PPM read about 3000 before this happened so I think my salt level is within range for the T-Cell to turn on but I've ordered a Salt tester anyway just to be sure.
9) In summary, I think this means I need to get a new main board but the only hits I get on replacement for G1-011049F-1 is the GLX-PCB-MAIN and the layout on that board is slightly different than mine so not sure if I can use it?

Anyhoo, any advice y'all can give me would be greatly appreciated! (Thank you!)

Here's a couple pics:

image0.jpeg
image3.jpeg
unnamed.jpg
unnamed (1).jpg

How old is the system?

It looks like the cell has been replaced under warranty.

What are the first 7 of the cell and box serial numbers?
Wow, how did you know that?
The Hayward stuff was new in 2013 and yes the T-CELL was replaced under warranty not too long after the original installation. It developed a pinhole leak in the housing.
I don't have the box and the Serial Number on the cell is difficult to see as it has faded (see image) but I think it says: 1E12165-400471.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    270.5 KB · Views: 2
GLX-CELL-15-W

Wow, how did you know that?
The "W" at the end means warranty replacement cell.

The cell was made on the 165th day of 2012.

At 10 years old, I am surprised that it is still working.

1660505680514.png

The high volts is normally due to a bad solder point, but I don't see any bad solder points.

The board is part number GLX-PCB-PRO.

Do you have a picture of the inside of the door for the automation?

The "W" at the end means warranty replacement cell.

The cell was made on the 165th day of 2012.

At 10 years old, I am surprised that it is still working.

View attachment 446278

The high volts is normally due to a bad solder point, but I don't see any bad solder points.

The board is part number GLX-PCB-PRO.

Do you have a picture of the inside of the door for the automation?

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    499.5 KB · Views: 5

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, the PL-PLUS is a ProLogic model that comes with a cell.

The PL-PLUS looks like this, so yours looks different for some reason.

Did the display get replaced?

View attachment 446308

Yes, the guy that installed it told me it was an upgrade he was giving me.
I do have 4 valves (2 for spa/pool, 1 for vac, and 1 for drain/pump out). I don't know if the stock PS-Plus panel allows for 4 valves? Other than that, I don't know what the upgrade could be?

Attachments

• unnamed (6).jpg
    unnamed (6).jpg
    483.4 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: JamesW
The board is $720 and the cell is $900, so that's $1,620.00.

How do you get to $2,700.00.
Hehe, I bought the Chlorinator at the pool store so I could 1, make sure it was the right one and 2, get it the same day, that was $1,159 with tax. Then I tried to order the $720 board from the online store after first checking with them to make sure it was in stock (they said yes), then I paid for expedited shipping so I could get it the next day. The next day I noticed the tracking status had not changed so inquired again and was told they would get right on it, then a couple minutes later I received an email saying my order had been cancelled due to item not in stock. So back to the pool store, they ordered the board for me, it actually came in yesterday but through them the same board is $1,299 with tax. Also, I bought the cleaning stand, some valve seal kits, and a new top for my pump basket for another $200 and change. I think the pool store purchasing department just buys all the inventory from the online stores so they can sell it to people like me for twice the price lol.

Do you know of a good place to get my old main board repaired so I can have a spare on hand if this happens again in the future?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.