Get The Iron Out

Aug 29, 2011
Reidsville, NC
Good Day,

I have an above ground pool, 18 x 33 and we just replaced the liner a few weeks ago. I had to refill off of a well which has heavy iron so once the pool was filled, we had a really nice looking mud puddle. Initially, we put in about 7 gallons of bleach, a box of Borax and 2 bottles of MetalOut. After a couple of days, there wasnt a lot of change but our filter was heavily loaded with iron. We added 4 more bottles of MetalOut and I rinsed out the filter daily but still didn't see any noticeable improvement. After doing some reading here at TFP, I added in some pillow batten to the skimmer and slowly, the water went from muddy brown to teal color. I still can't clearly see the bottom but I can see the brush and vacuum heads when on the bottom. While the filter still gets pretty loaded with Iron, I'm not catching as much in the pillow batten. I have vacuumed a few times and brushed daily and I do not see as much sediment being stirred up from the bottom. We have not been using any bleach because it seemed like the iron was just eating it up. Currently, Chlorine is 0, Ph is at 6.8 and the alkalinity is at 50.

My question is, should I start putting bleach in now and get the Chlorine level to what it should be or do I still need to be fighting the Iron problem first? If it's Iron, are there any suggestions on what I else I could try to get it gone?

Appreciate any input that anyone can provide.

Thank You for the reply. Unfortunately, trucking in water isn't a financial option. I do have a filter system on the well for the water inside the house and when adding water to the pool, it does go through that filtering. I didn't fill through that initially because I didnt want to abuse the system that much. We will start adding in the bleach and continue with the polyfill... and look into the Slime Bag as well. Thanks for the suggestion.

I have started adding Bleach and the iron has been forming and settling on the bottom. I have been vacuuming and discharging the water so I dont get it blown back in. The water does seem to be clearing now as I am able to see the bottom more clearly. I will continue with the polyfill and brushing and vacuuming daily as that seems to be doing the trick. Thanks for all the advice!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.