Get a hot tub - where to start is there a sticky for where to begin?

Be sure to check with your county or township about permit requirements. My township required separate building and zoning permits for spas (more $$). Plus third-party electrical sign-off. Structural engineer approval required if placed on a deck. Be sure to understand the electrical bonding requirements. Who knew just getting a spa would be so complicated? That's before even dealing with water chemistry/quality. We got a Bullfrog A7 and glad we did. Only just started using it, but enjoying it so far. Still learning about water chemistry/quality. Also consider how you will access pump area and touch control panel. I've always wondered how people access pumps if they are sunk into a deck on all 4 sides. We have ours at the corner of our deck, sunk down so only about 8-10 inches sticks up. So we have full access to the service side and an adjacent side. Control panel is on the same side as access panel - opposite the deck unfortunately. I do wish Bullfrog would let buyers determine what side the touch control panel is on. (We're considering adding the Wi-Fi control module down the road.) The location of these may limit how you attach a cover, what type of lift/holder you use, and what side it goes on. Also, I've read that flush-mount tubs may not be ideal - though they look great, they may create a tripping hazard and may make it harder to get in. Ideal height is where one can comfortably sit on the edge, or so I've been told. All a matter of opinion and just some things to consider.

Be sure to check with your county or township about permit requirements. My township required separate building and zoning permits for spas (more $$). Plus third-party electrical sign-off. Structural engineer approval required if placed on a deck. Be sure to understand the electrical bonding requirements. Who knew just getting a spa would be so complicated? That's before even dealing with water chemistry/quality. We got a Bullfrog A7 and glad we did. Only just started using it, but enjoying it so far. Still learning about water chemistry/quality. Also consider how you will access pump area and touch control panel. I've always wondered how people access pumps if they are sunk into a deck on all 4 sides. We have ours at the corner of our deck, sunk down so only about 8-10 inches sticks up. So we have full access to the service side and an adjacent side. Control panel is on the same side as access panel - opposite the deck unfortunately. I do wish Bullfrog would let buyers determine what side the touch control panel is on. (We're considering adding the Wi-Fi control module down the road.) The location of these may limit how you attach a cover, what type of lift/holder you use, and what side it goes on. Also, I've read that flush-mount tubs may not be ideal - though they look great, they may create a tripping hazard and may make it harder to get in. Ideal height is where one can comfortably sit on the edge, or so I've been told. All a matter of opinion and just some things to consider.

IF you tub is sunk into a deck, you need to leave access to the access panel for servicing. You can actually cut down the access panel on a Bullfrog - they make a kit for it. It makes the panel shorter side to side (but then it is harder to work inside the tub).

Bullfrog also makes a vault for burying their tubs in the ground. If you go that route you need to install a sump pump. There is space in the front of the vault that has a removable deck for accessing the spa access panel. Having done work on things other than spas where they were installed to look good with no consideration for future maintenance, I feel sorry for anybody that has to work on them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.