"Gel" Like water causing filter/multiport valve to crack?

JD880

Jun 20, 2014
Wayne, NJ
Please bear with me as I try and explain this correctly. I've owned homes with above ground pools before so I am familiar with the SLAM process and have always followed it. Purchased a new home that had an inground pool - vinyl liner - that hadn't been opened in a few years. From the old owner and neighbors, pool was always in good condition and winterized. The liner is older, about 23 years as of this year.

Opened the pool yesterday with assistance of a local pool company. Pool was obviously a mess with dirt/algae that got through some holes in the cover over the years but I could still see the bottom of the pool. The pool techs who were here, added shock/chemicals, started up the Hayward DE-6000 Filter, had some minor leaks that they patched up. Leave filter running for 2 days to clear it up some more then come back out a do a huge vacuum job.

I go into the pool equipment room an hour later and see water shooting out the multi-port valve - there is a hairline crack in the key/cover section on the valve. Was it there beforehand or was it caused by the tech who took it off to replace the o-ring previously, I don't know. But past that I see I can order this specific part online, but asked the company to see if they had it in stock and come back and replace today. I get a call from the owner who said it was the "Gel" like water in the pool that caused the crack and there is no point in replacing any parts as it will happen again due to the water quality. Only option is to drain the entire pool and refill - I DO NOT want to do this as I honestly don't trust the liner and the walls of the pool collapsing - just don't want to mess with this right now if I can get a season out of it.

Please tell me if anyone has heard of this before - the quality of the water can cause parts to break on the filter system/pipes. Thanks for any help!

"Gel" like water is nonsense.

You need a good test kit like a TF-100 and SLAM the pool.

DE filters are susceptible to getting clogged up.

You have to be vigilant about cleaning them when the pressure goes up.

You have to take them apart and clean the grids when the pressure goes up enough to significantly reduce the flow.

Once you get your test kit, post the readings and we can go from there.

Do you have pictures of the pool and system?

Reactions: JD880
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.