Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Good morning,
This is sort of pool related. My pool and driveway share a common fence. We have a 20 foot rolling gate across the driveway. It’s powered by a Liftmaster chain driven opener. Due to local pool code requirements, the gate automatically closes after 1 minute. It has a photo sensor like the one pictured below to protect against closure on children and other things. The problem is that a heavy dew or rain will cause the system to not work due to low reflectivity. Then the gate stays open. Only way to get it to work is to wipe off the cover of the sensor and the reflector. Not fun in the rain and sometimes rain is so heavy that it doesn’t work. I’ve installed shields on both the sensor and reflector. It helped somewhat, but we still have problems with more than a light rain. Appreciate any ideas on a better system or solution.

Thanks!
ScottIMG_0069.jpeg

This only needs to work when the inspector is there. Otherwise are you really wanting this to automatically close? I would think you can just push the button.

Well. That’s a thought. I’ll discuss that with the Mrs. I think she likes the sensor will protect her car, but she dislikes getting out in the rain. Thanks!

I’ve installed shields on both the sensor and reflector. It helped somewhat, but we still have problems with more than a light rain.
What shape are the shields? If they're tubular -- made from PVC pipe, maybe -- they'll protect the surfaces of the sensor and reflector even in a strong rain. And if they're not too long, they shouldn't really affect aiming difficulty.

We do have a remote plus the gate opener works with our vehicles homelink systems. The photo sensor protects our vehicles by keeping the gate from closing whenever our cars are in the path of the gate. I bought the shields from Amazon. They’re about three inches long at the top.

Attachments

• IMG_0070.jpeg
    IMG_0070.jpeg
    113.5 KB · Views: 1
They’re about three inches long at the top.
A PVC-pipe shield would provide a lot more protection from the sides (and top, if it were longer than 3 inches). But if I already had your shields and didn't want to fabricate new ones, I'd probably try extending the top and sides of the existing shields by bending a piece of thin sheetmetal or plastic or something over the shield.

Thanks! That might work on the sensor side. The reflector side already sticks somewhat out in the driveway. Not sure I want to extend it further. It sits on a welded bracket, so it might be tough to move. I’ll have to do some measuring. Cheers