Gas pool heater question

Craum

May 11, 2021
Delaware
So I opened my pool this year and have a ray pak gas heater. Have had it for 7 years. Use only in early around and late fall. Water temp was 61 when opener. Put heater in and water coming out of water fall does not feel hot like in the past. Had it up to 90 to heat fast. I took temp of water coming out of water fall and it was only 77. Why would it not come out hotter or closer to the 90 I had it set on. Is there usually a difference of 10-15 degrees from the pool water temp going i. To the water coming out?

Welcome to TFP.

A pool heater gives out a fixed amount of heat based on its BTU capacity. 1BTU will raise 1 pound of water 1 degree. The temperature differential between the input water temperature and the output water temperature depend on the BTUs of the heater and the water flow rate. We do not know either for your pool but a 16 degree temperature differential is reasonable.

The temperature you set in the heater tells the heater to put out the same amount of heat until the water temperature gets to the heater set point. Then the heater turns off.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.