Gas or Electric Heater

Jul 6, 2018
STAFFORD
Ok getting a 290 sq ft gunite pool installed in northern va. Its about 9500 gallons. Do I go gas or electric on the heater? They will come in at about the same price installed due to the amount of work required for the gas line. I understand the differences between them. Looking for real life opinions on which is preferred by people. Thanks

By electric, I am assuming that you mean a heat pump. It is really going to come down to how you use the heater. Someone else's conditions and requirements could be completely different than your own so going by someone else could be a mistake. Here are some pros/cons:

Run Cost: A HP can be more efficient than a NG heater so if your gas prices in $/therm are more than about 5x electrical prices in $/kwh, you are better off with a HP.
On Demand Heating: NG heaters come in larger BTU sizes so will heat faster than a HP.
Outdoor Temperatures: A NG heater can be used year around, a HP has limitations.

Reactions: HermanTX
I personally favor natural gas. Mainly because it heats fast and NG is fairly low cost in Houston area.
In the summer, I would not want to be paying to run AC for the house and then also to run a HP occasionally - either for the cooler or heat part (for spa). Already paying to run an electric pool pump. I like having separate uses of energy consumption such as stove top and water heaters are also NG.

I'm in the same area as you and we love our gas heater. Instant heat and we swim in the 90s. Nothing compares to having hot water come out the waterfalls and returns while you're swimming! Not cheap though probably pay $400/month for gas during pool season.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.