Garden Hose Recommendation

Following as this is an item on my spring list …
+ added question:
Anybody tried Flexilla hoses? They’re all the rage with car detailers just not sure how rugged they are in a “drag it around the yard/rocks” environment.
I really love the collapsing style hoses because they are so lightweight but they don’t last 😢
Also - favorite durable hose sprayer?

Reactions: CTFocusST
Following as this is an item on my spring list …
+ added question:
Anybody tried Flexilla hoses? They’re all the rage with car detailers just not sure how rugged they are in a “drag it around the yard/rocks” environment.
I really love the collapsing style hoses because they are so lightweight but they don’t last 😢
Also - favorite durable hose sprayer?

I have two Flexzilla hoses. I like them a lot. They stay flexible even in cold weather. I use one on my utility pump for the pool in the winter. I can unroll easily, pump the cold water down and then reroll with no problems. Regular hoses would get very stiff. I also drag it across the concrete deck and rocks around the pool with no noticeable wear.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I bought a Flexzilla hose last spring to replace a decades old Craftsman branded hose. The Flexzilla has performed admirably. I also drag mine around concrete decking and decorative gravel with no noticeable wear. The huge temperature swings in the desert southwest do not affect the hose at all. I'd say it is the perfect balance between weight, flexibility and durability–so far! Probably will buy another to replace my other aging hose on a reel.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Any idea on longevity or still too new for you
A while back I bought a 50' and 100' and put them on reels that my wife uses to water plants. Last year I bought 2 100' for my well and a backyard hose reel, another 2 50' that are on reels on the pool deck to water potted plants, and 25' one at my equipment pad. I have not had any problems with any of them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A while back I bought a 50' and 100' and put them on reels that my wife uses to water plants. Last year I bought 2 100' for my well and a backyard hose reel, another 2 50' that are on reels on the pool deck to water potted plants, and 25' one at my equipment pad. I have not had any problems with any of them.
They key to flexible hoses is not to leave them for any period of time under full pressure. Say you are washing your car, you get a call and go into the house but you don't turn the hose bib off but just shut the spray nozzle off and the hoze is under full pressure and no water flow is happening. That is what kills those type of hoses.

Reactions: HermanTX
They key to flexible hoses is not to leave them for any period of time under full pressure. Say you are washing your car, you get a call and go into the house but you don't turn the hose bib off but just shut the spray nozzle off and the hoze is under full pressure and no water flow is happening. That is what kills those type of hoses.
Yea - that’s exactly what I do! I’m my own worst enemy 🤦‍♀️

Following up on my earlier post.

I got a wall-mounted Eley reel that I love, and a freestanding one that I want to love but can't.

The problem is that there's nothing to guide the hose neatly onto the reel when rewinding it, so it always looks like some lazy kid wound up the hose -- it's all lumpy and messy and awful. And I guess that wouldn't be too terrible if the reel were hidden, but it's out there completely in the open. The Eley replaced one of those cheap plastic reel-in-a-box things, and the Eley is miles ahead in terms of build quality... But the old reel wound up neatly AND kept the hose hidden.

I've spent a little time looking online at deck boxes, doghouses, etc., to put the reel in, but I haven't found anything yet that would allow the handle to be turned while still meeting the other necessary criteria.

Maybe I'm the only person who's ever been bothered by this. But if anyone else feels the same way and has found a solution, I'd love to hear about it.

Following up on my earlier post.

I got a wall-mounted Eley reel that I love, and a freestanding one that I want to love but can't.

The problem is that there's nothing to guide the hose neatly onto the reel when rewinding it, so it always looks like some lazy kid wound up the hose -- it's all lumpy and messy and awful. And I guess that wouldn't be too terrible if the reel were hidden, but it's out there completely in the open. The Eley replaced one of those cheap plastic reel-in-a-box things, and the Eley is miles ahead in terms of build quality... But the old reel wound up neatly AND kept the hose hidden.

I've spent a little time looking online at deck boxes, doghouses, etc., to put the reel in, but I haven't found anything yet that would allow the handle to be turned while still meeting the other necessary criteria.

Maybe I'm the only person who's ever been bothered by this. But if anyone else feels the same way and has found a solution, I'd love to hear about it.
eley sells a cover to put over the reel.

I agree, I wish they had a design that would guide the hose. I have the extension kit also so I have 150' of hose on mine, and it has to get wound somewhat neatly or it doesn't fit. I just wind mine up with one hand, while guiding it on in a neat manner with the other. A little frustrating but I've been doing it that way for 14 years now.

--Jeff

I think I've neatly guided any reel I've ever owned. It's all I know. Lol.

I've had the cheapo plastic boxes that technically wound a nice pattern but couldn't support the weight of pulling the heavy hose if it wasnt 100% straight out so I guided those too to relive the tension

Late to the party, but the only hoses I buy are the Continental (used to be Goodyear) US-made rubber hoses. The heavy son of a guns. They last, and last, and last, and last.

Technically, I did install an 82ft Hoselink reel setup for the missus in the front yard after we moved in, and it's nice enough, but I'm not giving up my Continentals. I have at least 300 feet worth of them around the house.

I've had the cheapo plastic boxes that technically wound a nice pattern but couldn't support the weight of pulling the heavy hose if it wasnt 100% straight out

That was the situation with my old box reel, but I solved it a couple years ago by buying an accessory from Eley: Garden Hose Guide

Hammered the tubular stake into the ground directly in front of the box, so the hose always pulled straight out to the guide on its way to where I actually needed it.
eley hose guide.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support