Garden Hose Filter For Fill Water

May 13, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
I live in Phoenix and my city water from the hose is always high in pH, TA, and CH so I went searching for a filter to put on my hose that would help reduce these. I ended up buying this one that is marketed for gardening and reducing calcium.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YCHWL3M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I tested my hose water before and after the filter and this is what I got:
Without Filter:
CH - 225
TA - 140
pH - 7.8

With Filter:
CH - 175
TA - 110
pH - 6.8

Whoa! I did not expect the difference in the pH. I doubled checked both with filter and without on the pH and it held true. Although it didn't lower calcium as much as I had hoped, it did appear to lower it. I am pleasantly surprised with the TA and pH being lower since my pool is always drifting to a higher pH.

I do not know how long this filter will last because it depends on the water being filtered and is rated for "6 months of gardening" which is highly subjective. I plan to test it every 4-6 weeks to see when numbers rise. Something to consider using, especially if you are doing some draining.

It has Dionizer resin in it so it should pull all the Calcium out, until it gets loaded. Yours might already be loaded which is why it only reduced it 50 ppm. I don't think it's big enough for a pool. On another message board someone put up this link. He figures it's good for about 350 gallons before recharging, and it's a lot bigger.

Not sure what 176 gallons of purified water will do for your pool.

The Resin's lifespan will depend on the amount of contaminants in your water. Depending on your
TDS Level (ppm) 50, Expected Yield in Gallons Approx. 1410.
TDS Level (ppm) 100, Expected Yield in Gallons Approx. 705.
TDS Level (ppm) 200, Expected Yield in Gallons Approx. 353.
TDS Level (ppm) 400, Expected Yield in Gallons Approx. 176.

The cylinder weights approximately 22.9 pounds, and the resin weighs about 13 pounds. The Portable Water Deionizer is easy to move around.

Obviously negligible. Thanks for the info! I will just use in the garden as intended. This is exactly why I posted though, for this kind of feedback.

i went to the link Richard posted above, saw Frequesnt asked questions and pasted the answer LOL.
I’ve got hard water, 500 ish in my pool also. I try to keep my csi I check with a ph of 7.6-8ish.

Yeah this is my next battle now that I have a handle on FC and CYA. The water is so hard here, it is tough to keep the CSI in a good spot but I'll keep working at it. I thought a little lower pH would help lower the CSI?? When plugging in numbers on the pool math app, I thought a pH closer to 7.4 would keep it closer to optimal CSI?

Yeah this is my next battle now that I have a handle on FC and CYA. The water is so hard here, it is tough to keep the CSI in a good spot but I'll keep working at it. I thought a little lower pH would help lower the CSI?? When plugging in numbers on the pool math app, I thought a pH closer to 7.4 would keep it closer to optimal CSI?

based on my numbers, my ideal ph range is 7.6-8
These guys won’t steer you wrong.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pretty easy to handle CSI up to about 800 ppm CH, then you have to work at it. Some go as high as 1500 ppm but that gets pretty dicey.

TA and pH have a great effect on CSI. Keep your TA at 70 and it can be managed pretty well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.